Shimano geoblock for USA and Canada

discofrank

Likes Dirt
viva la gbox!

but seriously this is shit! comon someone has to have a family member in the UK EU to send stuff to, then forward it on to us!
also there seems to be more companies starting to come out with their own drive train stuff
Ie box , sunrace etc

discofrank

Likes Dirt
Needed a new cassette and chain the other day, 10sp XT, had to go local store. Didn't have XT got SLX, OK... $170 holy fuck-a-duck. Last year on CRC they were 50c each just about.
yer i got slugged $80 is for a 10 speed chain chain a while bck from lbs... $30 or so on crc, same chain!
needless to say i dont buy chains from lbs, but do buy heaps of other stuff hell they had shimano brake adaptors same price as mtb direct! :) winner

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I have just noticed Chain Reaction is now selling Shimano items to Australia. This link is an example of one item:
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/shimano-xt-m8000-disc-brake-au/rp-prod181178?mx=a
Notice the AU at the end of the description. They may have a warehouse in Australia to get around the geoblocking?
Price seems high.
That is quite a price hike. I purchased my last front and rear set of XT brakes for not much more than that. The geoblock is quite likely about a price floor and items always on sale. It is about reducing consumer power.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
That is quite a price hike. I purchased my last front and rear set of XT brakes for not much more than that. The geoblock is quite likely about a price floor and items always on sale. It is about reducing consumer power.
Surely at some stage they have to realise the economic limitations of their pricing structure though? I mean looking at crc shimano prices now, $85 for a 10 speed cassette is pretty insane. It basically makes sunrace a really viable alternative that most would probably shift to.

Even if folks stuck to shimano, it would funnel them to new bikes sales instead of buying parts which means shimano get oem saleswhich is smaller margins than retail? Unless of course they simply expect people to keep the same behaviors and keep buying stuff.

John U

MTB Precision
In about 2005 I can remember a shop in Sydney CBD having a Shimano XTR crankset on display with a price of $1,100.

Binaural

Eats Squid
When did this start happening? Could this be part of the reason we get "special" Australian prices?
From the Chain Reaction Website landing page.
Probably the reason CRC took 2 weeks to not deliver me my parts on my last order.

This is just a justification for charging extortionate margins again, just like they were able to before CRC and their like came along, now they can use geoblocking to force protectionism on us. The fact they are warehousing these parts IN AUSTRALIA and still can't do better than 4 days lead time to shipping (not even delivery!) is the kind of micky mouse service that drove consumers into the arms of CRC originally. They are literally quoting the same lead time to your hands as CRC UK used to do. Pathetic.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Probably the reason CRC took 2 weeks to not deliver me my parts on my last order.

This is just a justification for charging extortionate margins again, just like they were able to before CRC and their like came along, now they can use geoblocking to force protectionism on us. The fact they are warehousing these parts IN AUSTRALIA and still can't do better than 4 days lead time to shipping (not even delivery!) is the kind of micky mouse service that drove consumers into the arms of CRC originally. They are literally quoting the same lead time to your hands as CRC UK used to do. Pathetic.
Maybe they aren't warehousing much in Australia, but rather sending bulk packages from the UK(?) every 2 days?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Don't forget the fact they now only offer a fraction of their true range. Swap the country on the website to United Kingdom and have a look at all the range that is now no longer available to us...

My suspicion is they have to warehouse locally to get around the geo-blocking, which is why they now have the same limited range as most LBS. Bloody pointless and just makes us not want anything to do with Shimano or SRAM beacuse of it.

Hopefully longer term it creates more demand for more 3rd-party suppliers (ie: Microshift), and the quality lifts to meet market expectations while retaining a 'reasonable' price.

PJO

in me vL comy
This is just a justification for charging extortionate margins again, just like they were able to before CRC and their like came along, now they can use geoblocking to force protectionism on us.
Yep
The UK price includes UK VAT of 20% (exchange rate is around AU$1.85 for a pound)

353110 353109