Shimano geoblock for USA and Canada

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
What's your supplier of choice? I'm struggling to find a reliable source for good money. Most seem to still want $60+ plus shipping.
Try Cycling Deal
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sunrace-MX8-11-Speed-Mountain-Bike-Bicycle-Cassette-11-46T/361836400071

Also side note, but are sunrace cassettes alu spider for he big gears? I refuse to buy not join cassette cogs because they destroy freehubs.
The CSMX8 11-46T has the 46T in alloy and the rest are steel. I have one and no complaints. Will be my go-to now.
http://www.sunrace.com/en/products/detail/csmx8

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Might have to snaffle up a set before we’re blocked, throw in the parts bin.
I also grabbed a set of MT-200 brakes, €29 for the set. The pub bike has just got an upgrade... or maybe I'll carry them on trips as emergency spares.

2 x €550 orders placed last night, up till 2am. One with BC and the other with HiBike. Grabbed everything I needed for an up coming build.

It was good while it lasted.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Anddddd.... here we have the scam of the day, building 2 new sets of race wheels for my boys, bought 2 sets of DT Swiss 350 hubs and needed a set of adaptors.

Dirtworks $99.99
Pushys $72.99 (rear)
Hibike.... €36.89 ($59.75au) for the complete 350 front hub !!!! Buy an extra complete hub for the adaptors, then throw the hub straight in the spares.
As long as you're in no rush.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
What's your supplier of choice? I'm struggling to find a reliable source for good money. Most seem to still want $60+ plus shipping.

Also side note, but are sunrace cassettes alu spider for he big gears? I refuse to buy not join cassette cogs because they destroy freehubs.
I used cycling deal and it was about $100 from memory. Not sure about the all spider.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
@Nambra, local prices used to be far above the overseas price, and it was competition that drove local shops to offer comparable prices. As @ozzybmx noted, many of us will buy locally if the price difference and lead time isn't too different. Literally the only reason Shimano would take the PR, reputational damage and commercial heat to introduce this geoblock is so they can raise their wholesale prices and screw us all. They aren't even pretending to be providing better service, as their so-called local warehouse has about the same time to the customer as CRC in the UK. The whole exercise is a cynical exploitation of the SRAM/Shimano duopoly.

Has anyone used any good freight forwarding services other than friends and family?
Totally agree - if local price is within 10% of the O/S price, that's the GST difference. Local prices have got better due to the competition so I share your cynicism that this restriction is all about capturing our market and forcing increased wholesale prices on to our local stores and online retailers. The EU has enacted very strict anti-geoblocking laws to level the playing field for all member states, but there's no corresponding international mandates. SRAM avoided the whole 'restraint of trade' issue by saying 'we can't tell you who you can and can't sell to, but if you sell outside of your usual market, we can't sell our products to you' - I think it means that if they want to buy SRAM product from European sources, you can't sell it outside of Europe. Still smells like restriction of trade to me, or a form of blackmail...

I came across this forwarding company for getting stuff out of the EU: www.forward2me.com. Based on the island of Guernsey, which also makes it an expensive place to freight to and from. Freight from there to here is something like 36 pounds per kg, so it's just not economical.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I really like SRAM X0 and want to have that on both my MTBs- but no way I am paying for another X0 cassette. Was thinking of just using XT cassettes but this blocking has me thinking along lines of others: screw shimano.

Would it be worth having a thread that collects all the non-Shimano and non-SRAM options (and what works well) - so us that want to replace drivetrain components (or entire drive trains) can mix and match more easily? Or is it pretty simple really?