Shimano geoblock for USA and Canada

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
No idea. But my personal experience is that a spider distributes the load better and less biting into the freehub. But that's just bro-science.
I've found that the spider helps spread the load of the single gear force against the freehub. Less chewing on aluminium freehub bodies.

A steel freehub body also helps with that issue...

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Tried cycling deal 11-40 10 speed cassette Sunrace MX3 awesome works fine great price .
Also
FOURIERS CNC 40T single cog with a spare 16 T to replace 2 others + B screw works well on a 11-34 cassette bit a jump up to the 40T but OK .

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Small parts like brake hose olives/barbs seem to be lacking in our own online retailers stock. I don't use a lot of them but like to trim hoses and cables to the right length, and have a small kit of spare hoses and bits in case I damage any crashing into trees etc. I hate being dependant on a bike shop to order stuff in for me, don't wanna put up with my bike being out of action because of having to wait for small parts. I wonder if Shimano Australia will lift their game or will it be a case of having to buy a new component because you can't buy some of the small parts as spares

Flow-Rider

Burner
Small parts like brake hose olives/barbs seem to be lacking in our own online retailers stock. I don't use a lot of them but like to trim hoses and cables to the right length, and have a small kit of spare hoses and bits in case I damage any crashing into trees etc. I hate being dependant on a bike shop to order stuff in for me, don't wanna put up with my bike being out of action because of having to wait for small parts. I wonder if Shimano Australia will lift their game or will it be a case of having to buy a new component because you can't buy some of the small parts as spares
That's what I've done and you also dodge the upgrade spiel from the shops, "Oh, we don't stock parts for them anymore but we can sell you a new bike". I used to buy chain lube from my LBS and they're not a small shop but it seems like they can't even stock that so I said stuff them and just bought a few bottles of it from online that will last me a few years. As for the brakes I've got two complete spare sets I can interchange while the originals get repaired.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Got an email from bike components saying they are going to stop selling Shimano stuff to Australia after 1st June. They're offering 10% off shimano stuff this week. Stock up while you can. Doesn't surprise me if the other German retailers are following same suit soon.

Bloody geoblock. I thought that was a thing of a pass when the gaming industry decided to say F*** geoblocking..

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
As someone has previously noted the forces of capitalism and the 'free" market mean that if Shimano restricts replacement parts and jacks up prices enough due to geoblocking ,someone else will fill the gap.
Most likely this will be a Taiwanese or Chinese competitor who will upgrade their quality and choice ie Sunrace .
I get the "that X is old we dont stock Y parts or Shimano doesnt stock them "from the local bike shop so I just buy them on line often ebay .

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
I get wildly angry about this shit.

When it's time to 'rationalise' costs and embrace globalisation companies sack workers and move stuff offshore to achieve better economies of scale and efficiencies.... which they tell us helps everyone get a better deal.

But when WE want to participate in the global market and buy anything we want, anywhere in the world, using the genius of the www and the benefits of globalisation? .... well..... Hang on a minute! We can't have that.

Fuckers.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Litenbror

Eats Squid

When it's time to 'rationalise' costs and embrace globalisation companies sack workers and move stuff offshore to achieve better economies of scale and efficiencies.... which they tell us helps everyone get a better deal.

But when WE want to participate in the global market and buy anything we want, anywhere in the world, using the genius of the www and the benefits of globalisation? .... well..... Hang on a minute! We can't have that.

Fuckers.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk
@born-again-biker for PM!!

John U

MTB Precision

‘Everyone getting a better deal’ is code for ‘companies making more margin.’

Flow-Rider

Burner
Tried to order some sram lever kits from Bikeinn, got a conformation email, then a few days latter an email saying "out of stock or no longer made"

ajaman

Squid
Yep I hate this too.
The Au costs are making it un affordable for me to continue riding. Only hope is my tour to the USA when we can get back to work and buy it all from Jenson and bring it back as my bike to avoid the import costs. So sick of paying middle men in Australia. Makes me want to avoid them compleatly.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Oh you fellas are so sceptical. Surely you know it's for your own good, they just want to make sure you get the right product for the right country, different conditions and such. I thank you shimano and sram for thinking of me
Makes me very happy to have neither a single Sram or Shimano product on my bike. I got over it when I was working in the industry, consumers got screwed. Shimano Australia didn't have a 170mm zee or saint crank in stock for over 12months..Reps answer was pathetic. Monza were atleast trying for a while.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yep I hate this too.
The Au costs are making it un affordable for me to continue riding. Only hope is my tour to the USA when we can get back to work and buy it all from Jenson and bring it back as my bike to avoid the import costs. So sick of paying middle men in Australia. Makes me want to avoid them compleatly.
It's an outdated shit system and the current regime of profit protection is absolutely ridiculous. If only a new component player with modern business thinking would enter the market.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Makes me very happy to have neither a single Sram or Shimano product on my bike.
Hard to do with numerous bikes, I see some Campy die hards that do road... Magura brakes and stuff.

Can't think of any standard MTB that doesn't have Shimano or Sram specced on a complete bike.

We are still up at 16-17 bikes in this house, only 1 bike has none of the two S or S components and that's my singlespeed fatbike with hope brakes.

Would have a full garage sale if I dumped Shimano and Sram.

All MTB apart from a CX, gravel bike and the missus's roadie... she rode the roadie for 20km one day 5 yrs ago.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Dollars wise it'd be hard to maintain that's for sure! That ingrid derailleur set would be nice. I've got 1 these days, big cull from 5 of yesteryears.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Dollars wise it'd be hard to maintain that's for sure! That ingrid derailleur set would be nice. I've got 1 these days, big cull from 5 of yesteryears.
The ROTOR hydro gear change group would be awesome... its like trying to get rid of Google in your life. Would fucking love to, but too fucking hard !

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I try to diversify , to Formula brakes , Mavic wheels etc but old shimano drive train is so good and reliable and thanks to upgraditis I have lots of good 9 and 10 speed stuff from RB.
The worst thing is to buy a new bike and get sucked into shimano and SRAM 11 or 12 speed stuff which is not compatible and expensive cassettes .
Total con job.