Shimano Loosen Microspline License Rules

bear the bear

Is a real bear
I asked Shimano on twitter, who had the additional licences. All I got was that the brands will be making the announcements in the near future rather than Shimano.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Shitmano can suck a fat one.
Sram are overly expensive.... but offer heaps of options and superior shifting .

Being a bunch of cunts by blocking quality 3rd party hub manufacturers when they know full well that nobody will buy their sub par hubs.

Fuck u Shitmano....

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
New bike is coming with XT rear hub. At least now I will be able to throw a aftermarket one in when it eventually dies. (I shouldn't be too harsh I have had really good life from XT and Ultegra hubs in the past.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
For all those who are having a whinge about microspline, who has actually seen it in the flesh an/or installed it?
What Shimano has installed is a very intelligent piece of engineering. The main reason that Shimano did not go with an XD type driver is that SRAM has the patent on the one-piece cassette design and this is why you see things like the E-13 design to get around it.
The Shimano cassette is also cheaper and uses most of Shimano's existing tooling.

moorey

call me Mia
Like most Shimano lately, no beef about the engineering or quality...it’s about the way they’re going about things. Geoblocking, BCD changes, ispec clusterfucks...they seem determined to self sabotage.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Like most Shimano lately, no beef about the engineering or quality...it’s about the way they’re going about things. Geoblocking, BCD changes, ispec clusterfucks...they seem determined to self sabotage.
The geo-blocking also applies to SRAM, and from memory, they started the whole nonsense.
However, I agree and am not a fan of the whole proprietory BCD thing.
Ispec can be gotten around by the problem solvers adapters. I will say that each version of Ispec has been an improvement on the previous, however taking 3/4 version to arrive at the current could be viewed as change for change's sake.

moorey

call me Mia
I have always expected that shit from SRAM. Shimano were forged on a commitment to cross compatibility with their gear for the longest time.

MARKL

Eats Squid
For all those who are having a whinge about microspline, who has actually seen it in the flesh an/or installed it?
What Shimano has installed is a very intelligent piece of engineering. The main reason that Shimano did not go with an XD type driver is that SRAM has the patent on the one-piece cassette design and this is why you see things like the E-13 design to get around it.
The Shimano cassette is also cheaper and uses most of Shimano's existing tooling.
I’m with Moorey on this one. Why bring out a new standard that isn’t as good? The biggest reason is pride, Shimano were never going to adopt a standard developed by SRAM

bear the bear

Is a real bear
I’m with Moorey on this one. Why bring out a new standard that isn’t as good? The biggest reason is pride, Shimano were never going to adopt a standard developed by SRAM
Re-read my statement above again about why Shimano have gone the way they have.
And why isn't it as good? have you used it?