Shimano mineral oil?

straddiesurfie

Cannon Fodder
cheap hydraulic oil

I have a bobcat and I buy hydraulic oil in 20 litre drums for around $120. There are so many mark-ups on bicycle stuff.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Havnt read the whole thread, but since were talking about brake fluid.

I bought some Castrol Dot 4 Brake fluid from supercheap, this is going to work the same as the stuff with Hayes written on it right?
Any DOT 3, 4 or 5.1 is fine, DOT 5 notsomuch, as it is silicone based and will ruin your seals.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
I wonder if he found that out in the 6 years since he posted?
Bwahahahahahaha, I'll have a look in the crash thread.

Didnt look at the date, just posted after the other nuffy suggested putting a backhoe on the bike.

There's so many of these threads asking the same fugging questions, you lose track of the current ones.

tomac204airshift

Likes Bikes
"DOT 5 notsomuch, as it is silicone based and will ruin your seals. "

this not ture ? i been run dot 5 . more 5 year some my brakes... they have not leak one bit if any thing the brake a whole alot better . very rare fade. it can take more heat , and dose not breed alot once ever 2 years .

i try use oil in a dot ... that Will kill the brakes try a mixing brake parts

teK--

Eats Squid

this not ture ? i been run dot 5 . more 5 year some my brakes... they have not leak one bit if any thing the brake a whole alot better . very rare fade. it can take more heat , and dose not breed alot once ever 2 years .

Maybe you're running DOT 5.1 which is totally different to DOT 5.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge

Yeah, somuch. If yer brakes are made for glycolether based fluid (3,4 and 5.1) silicone based (5) will eventually ruin them. They probably feel better because 5 is hydrophobic and has a higher boiling point.

Hygroscopic fluids (ge based) will absorb humidity and have a lower boiling point. If you are experiencing excessive fade with the correct fluid, it's old or contaminated. Either way, it just needs replacing.

Pray that you don't get any significant moisture in the system as it will pool in the callipers and flash to steam, then it's bye bye brakes, when you need them most. The perceived weakness of the hygroscopic fluids is actually it's strength, any moisture that enters the system is miniscable, and is absorbed into the fluid, retaining a fairly consistent boiling point in the system.

The only advantage of DOT 5 is it won't eat your paint if you're a sloppy bastard.

Good luck and see you in the fuckwits/crash pics pages.......

stirk

Burner
Seriously I have a dilemma, I am not sure what lube to use, one is hideously priced for what it is but is volume priced so yeah costs a lot for a small tube of goo. The other lube is really cheap and readily available.

What do you think is best guys and gals, KY or saliva?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Seriously I have a dilemma, I am not sure what lube to use, one is hideously priced for what it is but is volume priced so yeah costs a lot for a small tube of goo. The other lube is really cheap and readily available.

What do you think is best guys and gals, KY or saliva?
Skip the brakes all together. Use your scrotum like a parachute.