Shimano MTB GP Series 2013 - Fast 4h and Furious 7h racing that rocks!

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
I'm fairly new to MTB racing but the categories seem pretty strange. Shouldn't the Elite category be the cream of the crop?

In the ladies 7hr the podium of the solo masters beat all but one of the ladies elite. Why the elite category then? Surely there should just be a ladies overall podium? This happened to some extent in the men's too.

I believe the Masters are not allowed in the elite category as they are too old!

Seems a bit wrong to me.
People under the age of 40 (ie younger than Masters) are automatically entered into the 'elite'. Anyone else, including Masters and Supermasters, can also enter the elite if they want to.

But I agree with the gist of your comment. It would be more logical to just give the major prizes to the first three overall places in each gender (regardless of age divisions) with additional prizes for age categories as appropriate based on numbers/ demand.
Like Rida said, no one is excluded from Elite - the older riders can enter elite if they wish to. However if people choose to race age category then that's the category they are called onto the podium for... this round had more than double the amount of women in the solo 7 than round #1 so regardless of overall standing it was great to see them all recognised on the podium. Rocky Trail often do an "overall womens podium" like you suggest, they do this when there are just us three regular women who are all different age categories. Each of us wins our category but the podium is called up in terms of overall standing.

In terms of prizes, I don't think you'll find there is such a thing as a "major prize" - in general there's a range of things of similar value.

Last edited:

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was told by one the the female masters riders that they were not allowed to enter elite? That they had to ride masters - is this not correct?

It's not so much in terms of prizes, just that if you podium overall on the ladies (or men's) they should have an overall podium.

Edit - I just read you said they do have a womens podium when there is only a small field - but as I mentioned this affected the deeper men's field too.

Last edited:

crummy?

Likes Dirt
With little to no rain (minimal sprinkle at 4hr mark) the 4 hr race went well, dry and very very sandy through the single track section with a fair few front tyres washouts on the corners which soon became a liability which kept each lap more and more interesting..

Well done to the organisers and James Estate for putting together a great track that's now open to the public I believe.
Short video just blogged.

trailburner

Rocky Trail Entertainment
[video=youtube;ul_VkegvEbM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul_VkegvEbM[/video]

James Estate round video!

gwiny

Squid
Rain rain go away

Hoping the organisers will check this thread - what's the prognosis for this weekend? There's a bit of rain predicted. Just wondering if there is an impact to the event. Thanks

trailburner

Hoping the organisers will check this thread - what's the prognosis for this weekend? There's a bit of rain predicted. Just wondering if there is an impact to the event. Thanks
We certainly do. Rain is forecast for today and then mostly dry until the weekend. Showers won't stop the race - only heavy consistent falls do and there is nothing like that on the radar.

trailburner

We will keep registration for Round 3 of the Shimano MTB GP open until Friday 3pm. Weather is looking good!

gwiny

Squid
Hi TB, will it be possible to pre-ride the course tomorrow? If so, from what time will this be available?
Thanks

trailburner

Hi TB, will it be possible to pre-ride the course tomorrow? If so, from what time will this be available?
Thanks
We marked the course this afternoon. You can ride it anytime tomorrow.
Track is in great shape - a few puddles here and there but other than that super grippy.

trailburner

Ready Set Go for tomorrow's Shimano MTB GP Round 3. Due to popular demand we put in a third line around the infamous drop off: the C-line aka Wet Feet line. It's the one turning left at the crest of the drop off. You need to cross the creek but the water is very shallow there. You will need to get over the creek with speed to make it up the bank on the other side. A, B or C which one will be crowd favourite tomorrow?

crummy?

Likes Dirt
Fast 4 was testing.

Thanks, awesome event !!! nice the new part of the track I did not know it .
Got to echo Morrisan's comments, had a blast at Ourimbah, sure tested my skills on the hard-tail. Have a little video that I am putting together but in the mean time, blog on. The lower section with G-Out was a nice surprise.

crummy?

Likes Dirt
Video-On

Got to echo Morrisan's comments, had a blast at Ourimbah, sure tested my skills on the hard-tail. Have a little video that I am putting together but in the mean time, blog on. The lower section with G-Out was a nice surprise.
A link to some of the fun caught via video, HERE. Cheers Rocky Trail!

Oh, and some from the local news.

See you there next time.

trailburner

Mt Annan race update

The weather can be described as moody at best in the last weeks so we are being as proactive as possible in planning the next race:

As you may be aware The Australian Botanic Garden Mt Annan has a a very strict no racing on wet tracks policy so in case we get a lot of rain we already have a B-date which is 1 week later on July 20.
We also have the option of running parts or the entire boundary track which can be raced on in the wet. Usually we are able to make a call about moving the race to the B-date on the Thursday before the race but we will of course keep you updated all the time via our website and facebook.