Shimano rear road Mechs, what's the difference??

manny24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hummmm....

one is short cage, the other is super-short cage.

unless u were going to buy a heap of other gear, i dont think its worth buying it from winge land. the postage would hurt alot

jasco

Likes Bikes and Dirt
lotecsiriusconcept said:
one costs 2 pounds more and has a description 8)
Again Lotec, you have added nothing to a thread. I don't know how you manage to not know so many things. By shear coincidence you should have provided some help to someone by now, but alas we shall have to wait.

manny24 said:
unless u were going to buy a heap of other gear, i dont think its worth buying it from winge land. the postage would hurt alot
Yeah I know, but I'm over here on holiday at the moment so postage is free :D So I'm stocking up while I can!

Cyco

Likes Dirt
Shimano Derailleur Codes

A 5500 and 5501 derailleur are the same mechanicly. The difference is on the silver derailleur the logo has changed for yellow with a blue outline (5500) to black(5501).

The Shimano product code reads as such RD (rear derailleur) - 5501 (105 with new logo) - SS (standard road cage) - S (silver). Variations include GS (mid cage - road triple/short Mtn), SGS (long cage - not available on road derailleurs), L (Black) and 6500 (Ultegra).

jasco

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks heaps for your help, it just goes to show why you guys run such a great shop!!