Shimano Saints brakes

hrzook

Squid
Hi Guys

Looking for some advice. The rear caliper on my MTB needs bleeding regularly (like monthly). I have been extremely meticulous whilst bleeding it myself but also have bitten the bullet and had 2 different LBS bleed the caliper. The symptoms of the issue is like any brakes with air in them, they feel spongy and fade. Is air getting into the system somewhere, if so I thought that should mean I would see a leak? Anyway thanks for any advice.

HR

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
While it is possible for a piston seal to suck in air and not leak I doubt this is the case with a mtn bike brake. No leaks at olives or along the hose? Take the brake off the bike and stretch the hose out straight and vertcal and rebleed until the lever is rock hard. 4 pots can be tricky to bleed sometimes. Second thoughts send them to me for $1 as they are rooted.;)

moorey

call me Mia
Change the pads. Give a good bleed with a little positive pressure in the system.
Bleeding with the levers adjusted out and the screw right in?

padams10003

Likes Dirt
I had a set of saints that were exactly the same. Just had to do a quick lever end bleed once a month and all was good. Was annoying, but couldn't figure out why it happened.

Staunch

Eats Squid
The only other thing I can suggest is to thoroughly check the hose. If the brake hose is worn, kinked, or damaged at any point, it can have a huge effect on brake feel. Under pressure it can allow for slight expansion of the hose, and while it may not be visibly noticable, it will cause a different in how they feel. Obviously it shouldn't cause anything as extreme as the lever pulling to the bar, but when you have a brake hose that's twice as long as the front and with damage, it can make a noticable difference.

Alternatively, the bleeds being done just aren't good enough. When the bleed block is in, can you get the lever to the point when it essentially have 0 throw and feels solid? If not, there's still residual air in the system somewhere

Last edited:

hrzook

Squid
Yeah thanks guys, I did fail to mention the oil when bled looks a little dirty. I will give another bleed on bike as it has internally routed cable. I also have a Saint on the front and it has been flawless.

moorey

call me Mia
Yeah thanks guys, I did fail to mention the oil when bled looks a little dirty. I will give another bleed on bike as it has internally routed cable. I also have a Saint on the front and it has been flawless.
Back is used a lot more. Shimano's since about 2012 have done that grey metallic oil thing. It somehow makes spongy......though I can't imagine how.
Flush it right out each bleed.

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
Back is used a lot more. Shimano's since about 2012 have done that grey metallic oil thing. It somehow makes spongy......though I can't imagine how.
Flush it right out each bleed.
Yep I always top to bottom bleed and just let it run almost a whole cup through... I'm a cheapskate so I bought the 1L shimano oil which will last years... especially as once bled right Shimano brakes can go years without needing a bleed.

Staunch

Eats Squid
Not the most economical way, but if you're having problems and so is the shop that tried to do it for you, might be worth trying this way. If it's good enough for one of the best DH racers of all time, it should do the trick for you.

moorey

call me Mia
Have seen that a few times. Definitely not a home mechanic approach...and I’m dead against a top down bleed personally.

hrzook

Squid
So just performed a bleed and can see it get wet ever so slightly around one of the pistons. I guess I will be after a caliper, do Shimano sell them as a caliper only option?

moorey

call me Mia
So just performed a bleed and can see it get wet ever so slightly around one of the pistons. I guess I will be after a caliper, do Shimano sell them as a caliper only option?
Are you sure you weren't just careless? But yes, they do.

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
And for the record, I’ve used M820 saints for years, love them. Whilst they are finicky, now i do my own bleeds so can take my time to get them right. The calliper up bleed Is super simple, I just make sure I angle the bike (and maybe take the calliper off the frame) to get as straight a line as possible so the air can fuck off up the cable and out the top.
if you can’t find a new calliper hit me up as I’ve got a used one you could borrow for the meantime:)

hrzook

Squid
I doubled checked I wasn't just careless, wouldn't be the first time:D

Please take a look at the vid when I squeeze the lever, looks like it is leaking to me? -

if you can’t find a new calliper hit me up as I’ve got a used one you could borrow for the meantime:)
Are you looking to sell one, I just called LBS none in stock at Shimano apparently?