Shimano Saints brakes

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Apparently Shimano Australia are getting in Saint stock today if anyone is in the need.
yeah, but due to filling back orders, won't be available for 19.375 weeks!....likely story
what is a new caliper worth?...I just purchased a caliper /lever with hose from Pushys for $300ish, was here within the week!

hrzook

Squid
Didn't ask Shimano Australia what its worth as they would probably say ask your LBS. Caliper from the states delivered was about 250 AUD.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
FWIW @hrzook if you haven't bought a Saint caliper yet, I paid $150 at Bike Bug for an XT 8120 (4 pot) caliper... Includes banjo bolt so is a straight swap on just bolt up and bleed.

Staunch

Eats Squid
Yep too late, it is on its way. Is there much/any difference between a Saint and an XT caliper?
The new XT M8120s are essentially an improved Saint caliper. Same piston sizes, however they've improved the internal oil routing so apparently they're easier to get a really solid bleed out of.

When taking this into consideration, a full set of XT M8120s is essentially a step above the Saint M820 as the new lever design reduces the lever flex, resulting in more transfer of force to the piston.

This is my understanding from a few hours of scavenging bits of info from different forums + tech drawings, however if anyone has any info to rebut this I'd be happy to hear it.

Last edited:

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Yeah look as above the new 4-pot calipers have seen a change in design but in practice I doubt you'd notice a difference other than the colour/shape!

hrzook

Squid
So I will hopefully have my caliper soon, so screw adjustment screw all the way in? Any other tips for the initial bleed?

Thanks

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
So I will hopefully have my caliper soon, so screw adjustment screw all the way in? Any other tips for the initial bleed?

Thanks
No. Screw it all the way out, bleed, flick lever a billion times (or pump fluid in and out if using second syringe), close the bleed valve while applying pressure with syringe, screw adjustment screw in, wash caliper with soapy water.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

teK--

Eats Squid
The fact that Shimano don't even have calipers available in Australia, let alone small parts like pistons and piston seals which are never sold anyway... Is why I changed to Hope brakes. With TLC they should theoretically last forever

moorey

call me Mia
No. Screw it all the way out, bleed, flick lever a billion times (or pump fluid in and out if using second syringe), close the bleed valve while applying pressure with syringe, screw adjustment screw in, wash caliper with soapy water.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
Nope. Lever all the way out, screw (XT/Saint) all the way in.
Otherwise, you got it.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Nope. Lever all the way out, screw (XT/Saint) all the way in.
Otherwise, you got it.
No. Adjusting lever adjusts only the lever position, totally independent of the master piston.

Stroke adjust screw backed out to maximise system volume. Bleed. Adjust stroke screw to advance piston/reduce stroke as desired, then set lever reach.

It's one-way cross adjustment; tweaking the stroke adjustment pulls/pushes the lever in or out 'cos it moves the master piston in the bore on a set pushrod length. Tweaking the reach knob only moves the lever on the pushrod - it has exactly zero effect on master piston position and cylinder/ system volume.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
No pin the lever to the bars with a bit of Velcro tape put the screw halfway in - make sure it isn’t halfway out though has to be halfway in and then sacrifice a goat.....

I wanted to play too
That's what I've been doing wrong, I've been sacrificing chickens, damn official Shimano tech sheet always getting the sacrifices mixed up. Also unsure about the need for a virgin to do it? People get pretty weird on tinder when I ask about bleeding brakes.

moorey

call me Mia
I have tried and tested. My method gives me an absolute rock solid and consistent feel.
Lol @Minlak. Anyone who dabbles in hope brakes and their famously difficult and convoluted process is already playing. Full disclosure, I haven’t used them since 2004, but 9/10 people seem to have seem to have less trouble solving a Rubik’s cube blindfolded.