Shimano XC70 versus XC61

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi XC Burners!

I have a pair of XC50 shoes that I have loved and worn into the ground over the past 5 years. Although they are a great shoe and I couldn't really fault them I want to step up a bit on some replacements. At this point I am looking at the XC61 and the XC70's and there seems to be around approx $80 price difference.

So, have any of you guys had experience of either or both? What are your thoughts between the two? Is the extra $ worth it for the 70's? Has anyone had issues with either that would turn them off buying again?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Coast

Last edited:

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Hi XC Burners!

I have a pair of XC50 shoes that I have loved and worn into the ground over the past 5 years. Although they are a great shoe and I couldn't really fault them I want to step up a bit on some replacements. At this point I am looking at the XC61 and the XC70's and there seems to be around approx $80 price difference.

So, have any of you guys had experience of either or both? What are your thoughts between the two? Is the extra $ worth it for the 70's? Has anyone had issues with either that would turn them off buying again?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Coast
Have the xc70, can't remember what the last model of shimano shoe I had was, but it was around $100 on special, the xc70 was around $200. Xc70 comes with really nice inner soles and a good fit for someone with flat feet ( wedges for the arch support) , they are also very stiff so feels great for transfer of power but not so good hiking up a steep slope.

I home molded mine by sticking them in the oven for the prescribed amount of time, then stuck em on my feet - not sure it made much difference

Do love them though and would buy again

Oh, the soles have been ripped apart though - not really made for hiking

Snockers

Likes Bikes
I've had the XC70's for almost a year now. They're probably the stiffest and most comfortable shoe I've had.

Similar to pharmaboy, the durability of the tread on the sole hasn't been great. I use these shoes for just about everything from MTB to commuting, so they do get a bit of walk-time, and the rubber tread moulding has worn down pretty quick. I don't believe it has any effect on the core structure of the sole, but is probably something to consider if you intend to walk on them much.

Not sure how the XC61 compares... Have you looked at any of the Giro shoes at all?

dmwill

Likes Dirt
Had some XC70's for ~2 months now. I previously had some low-end SPDs with a plastic sole. Purchased the XC70's as I was happy with the same custom-fit tech on my road SPD-SL shoes.

Have only used them in two cyclocross races and a couple of quick rides on the MTB. I cannot really comment on durability of the sole tread a great deal, though pea gravel likes to get stuck in them.

Main pros for me:
-light
-very stiff
-plain black (personal preference for me, but I can see the XC61 is a mixture of black and white)
-plastic outer part around the toes can take a beating whereas the XC61 continues with the synthetic material (which in my past shoes got really hacked up)

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bump!

Anyone using the XC 61 shoes? Thoughts?

Also to the guys that have the xc70s, I know this sounds odd but are they hot? Tried a pair on today and they don't look to have much ventilation. All good there? These were xc70l's, any idea what L stands for?

Cheers,

Graeme

rwk1

Squid
Xc70 +1

Another happy xc70 owner.

It's perfect if you have super wide flat foot like me... Not many brands can fit me comfortably, but the xc70 is great!

Just a tip- I think the new shimanos don't run their sizing small anymore. I downsized 1, compared to 2014 models.

sossy

Saucier
I run the xc61 and love it.

I was tempted for the xc70, but decided I didn't need the custom fit for my mtb shoes. They're like a slipper as it is.

I have a tall foot and no issues with fit. I was previously in the xc60 and upgraded as soon as they came out.

The L on the xc70L is to denote the colour black.

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just thought I'd post just in case someone else had the same question later.

I pulled the trigger and got the XC70's, have ridden them for a few weeks now (maybe 400 kms) and am pretty happy with them. They were an extra 50 bucks than the XC61 so thought what the hell. Haven't ever ridden in true race shoes before so I had to get used to the stiffness but now I'm used to them and feel that it does help. I'm normally a 42 but just like my old XC50's I went up a size to 43 and they fit a treat. Looks to be a good quality build too.

I haven't tried the 61's but if you're thinking of getting the 70's I'd do it. I'm pretty happy with them.

Cheers,

Coast

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've had a pair of XC70's for 15 months and they are still going strong despite being used on average 5x per week. 6 mths ago I replaced the plastic studs with some metal ones. The plastic ones wear away pretty quickly!

Dowlo

Likes Bikes
I just ordered a pair of XC70's & after reading this I'm glad with my decision. Can't wait as my old Scott shoe's are really needing to retire. My only worry is sizing, I ordered a 45 as that's what I wear with my Shimano road shoe's so fingers crossed the sizing will be the same between road and mtn.

Dowlo

Likes Bikes
uploadfromtaptalk1451955199595.JPG
They arrived today, not bad considering I ordered on NYE.
Fit is good, just need to work out the arch support position etc...then get out on the trails (when the rain stops).

B.J.

Likes Bikes
Metal Studs...

ChrisJC, I have found the plastic studs wear away quickly too, where did you get the metal studs from, please?