Shimano XT / SLX 12-Speed

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Yeah, how about that - 2 x 12 with a 10-45 cassette. Where would that even be necessary? I guess it's the same with 3 x 11, maybe Shimano is trying to create a point of difference to Sram 1x12?

From the little I've read this morning, it seems that the shifting with Shimano 12-speed is spot on, but there is a bit of a weight penalty.

The updated M7100 and M8100 brakes sound interesting too - a bit more modulation than their predecessors.

Shredden

Knows his goats
Looks sick, seems like NX and GX have been dominant on cheaper OEM bikes forever. Hopefully this claws back some market share.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Geoblocking just got more annoying... Wonder if my German freight forwarding account is still active.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Geoblocking just got more annoying
I just simply can't understand why they can't produce a better freehub. The microspline looks like it's a far inferior hub to the xd. Picture of the freehub shows it having already eaten through!

So so far we have new hub standard that only serves the purpose of going to 10t cog, then add the superboost spacing and to boot it comes in 2x. What in the world!? Looks like they are banking on geoblocking old 10 and 11 speed stuff for profit then...

Last edited:

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
But will it work on XD/SRAM cassettes I wonder... I'm tempted, keen to see it in the flesh. I'm over the "meh" shift quality of GX Eagle and not sure I can stomach the 300 clams for an XO rear mech. And I still miss multiple downshifting.

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Keep trying to play catch up and you won't last long.

IMO the last true innovation Shimano made was the clutch derailleur.

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hmmm I like the idea of new Shimano 12 spd but geoblock pricing might be too much of a turn off. I have a Dartmoor Primal frame to build :)

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
am I reading this right, there is another Ispec version? WTF!?
I Spec EV I think they call it. The new brake levers have clamps moved inward with the end of the lever up against the bar to reduce flex from what I've read. It also provides for adjustable positioning of the shifter and leaves a bit more room next to the grip for a dropper remote. There's a bit of a mention in that vid that @hifiandmtb linked in his post, and here's Shimano's own info: https://bike.shimano.com/en-SG/technologies/component/details/new-tech-i-specev.html.

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A couple of turn offs there, new ispec, new freehub.

Anyone seen any news on the wandering bite point thing which the last series brakes had? Also be interesting to see if they’ve got around the brake lever plunger failure which I and a few mates went through on the 8020/ 9020

PJO

in me vL comy
This video did not convince me it is any good as he is descending for most part and is walking at the end...WTF:rolleyes:
... and he doesn't even use the brakes!
I'm guessing it shows that it doesn't fall of the bike as you're descending;)