Shimano XT / SLX 12-Speed

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Can someone explain the point of 12 speed to the average rider?

You can size up a chainring to make sure that you are able to climb anything with a 10 speed 11-46 cassette. A 10 speed deivetrain will also be cheaper, lighter and more reliable.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.

You can size up a chainring to make sure that you are able to climb anything with a 10 speed 11-46 cassette. A 10 speed deivetrain will also be cheaper, lighter and more reliable.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Shhhhhhhhhh, don’t question, just upgrade that fleet of yours to 12speed slx.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I'm sure it is a great piece of kit but if you actually want it then you may have evil geoblocking to contend with too.
Has to knock it down a rung or two of the drivetrain totem pole.
  • If Eagle has 50T then Shimano has to have 51T.
  • Back at the SRAM marketing lair, a 52T cassette was hastily cobbled up to keep up with the teeth arms race.
  • Meanwhile the customer was fine with 46T but, strangely and utterly predictably, no one actually asked that key question.
  • A large bag of freshly cooked dicks was opened.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am more interested in 9 speed wide range if it provides a bit more life from wear and tear, fits the hubs I have and shifts better. The marketing hype just tells me it is closer to xtr. Mid range stuff has always worked for me.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I like the range.... Also, old knees. A 10-52 would be nice, but happy to spread it over less than 12 gears. 10 would do.

Biggest problem with sram 12 speed is having to upshift one at a time - this is where I still miss Shimano shifters.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The only advantage to more gears is less jumps between shifts. I've got no intention of moving up while the prices are crazy like right now. Hell I've used the same 11spd derailleur and shifter for 5 years now with thousands of kms on them.

But, there will come a time when the prices aren't exorbitant and I'll happily run it then.

But at the moment, cheap and 11/12spd is just so heavy. These GX, XT cassettes are half a damn kilo!

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
To make 10/11spd old tech, cassettes now the price of a suspension fork, a new reason to bump the price of chains back up again as the price for 11spd has dropped.

Doesn't give the shits as much as Boost... I've got spacer kits falling out of front wheels all over the place and expensive hubs that were devalued and obsolete basically overnight. Its hard to get a decent fork now that is not boost.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
But will it work on XD/SRAM cassettes I wonder... I'm tempted, keen to see it in the flesh. I'm over the "meh" shift quality of GX Eagle and not sure I can stomach the 300 clams for an XO rear mech. And I still miss multiple downshifting.
dont waste your pennies...the XO still has issues.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Has this trickled down ultra fast so slx will be specced on heaps if next seasons bikes so the new standards get adopted? Then upgradeitas kicks in and xt and xtr bits are easier to buy.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Has this trickled down ultra fast so slx will be specced on heaps if next seasons bikes so the new standards get adopted? Then upgradeitas kicks in and xt and xtr bits are easier to buy.
I reckon it’s more to do with the competition. Now that SRAM has Eagle in 5 flavours, they’ve got the whole build kit price range covered, from XX1 down to SX. Shimano will want to wrestle back some of that OEM market share, and if their XT and SLX 12-speed stuff performs as well as their 11-speed predecessors, you’d have to think that SRAM might be a bit worried about their GX and NX Eagle sales. Although, the new Microspline freehub standard might be a barrier to those wanting to upgrade. Maybe Shimano needs an SLX 12-speed 11-51t cassette that runs on the standard Shimano driver to give them a real shot at knocking off Eagle NX on OEM builds.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
dont waste your pennies...the XO still has issues.
Annoying... I had XO1 11sp on my last bike and it rocked - perfect crisp shifts up and down every time. GX eagle has sucked in comparison - it even made me buy a hanger alignment tool and upgrade to an XO shifter.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
. Maybe Shimano needs an SLX 12-speed 11-51t cassette that runs on the standard Shimano driver to give them a real shot at knocking off Eagle NX on OEM builds.
Surely Deore will do that next year. Surely...

Sunrace still looking good. Its only that multiple upshift that still has me looking at Shimano, I really thought SRAM would have gone there for eagle.

itsajoke

Likes Dirt
Next development; DT Swiss Micro Spline freehub body is too big for my Roval hub (DT Swiss internals). Tried it on a DT Swiss 240s and same result.

XTR party shut down very quickly.