Shimming Fox Boost Valve Shock

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi guys.
Long story short is that I'm playing with my M5.7 and converting to 650b for a test. Might be worth it, might not.

I need to reduce the travel of the shock by 2mm and I'm keen to know if this is a simple home fix, or far more complicated.
It's a Fox Kashima Boost Valve RP23 with Trail adjust.

Can anyone who knows more shed some light? Is it just depressurisation, undo, fit the shim and reverse?
Does it need the IFP charged with Nitrogen again once opened?

Thanks in advance!

W

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Keeping the same eye to eye length but reducing the travel by 2mm, you need to pop a 2mm spacer onto the damper rod. Ideally the spacer is whole and requires full disassembly for installation, but you can cut a slot in the spacer so it pops onto the shaft.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
easily done takes 5 mins let out air, unscrew aircan slip 2mm washer on shaft then reverse process
If you arent very strong you need another person or a clamp to get the aircan back together to start screwing.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
easily done takes 5 mins let out air, unscrew aircan slip 2mm washer on shaft then reverse process
If you arent very strong you need another person or a clamp to get the aircan back together to start screwing.
Use a plastic spacer/washer, don't use anything metal, it runs the risk of damaging the damping rod, and this rod is a sealing surface

SummitFever

Eats Squid
...If you arent very strong you need another person or a clamp to get the aircan back together to start screwing.
If you can't get the aircan back on, just assemble it enough so that its past the eyelet, install the shock on the bike and if you or someone else weight's up the bike then the shock will compress to easily screw the air can back on.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks guys. I've just got to find a shop that has them in stock.
Was planning on using the nylon ones too so thanks for the confirmation.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you can't get the aircan back on, just assemble it enough so that its past the eyelet, install the shock on the bike and if you or someone else weight's up the bike then the shock will compress to easily screw the air can back on.
Nice tip! Thanks.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
You can just cut a slit in one of those 3/4 -1 inch plastic washers that goes between the tap end and the hose fitting