Shinamo Deore Stuff.........

Cruz

Likes Dirt
To put it simply, bloody excellent. The disc hub came with a Shimano xt disc, the shifter and cable and external shifter box, rear chain tensioner, Sram chain, 38 tooth d/h front chain ring and with the hub built onto an On-One Retard rim using DT Swiss spokes, all in excellent condition.
Retail would be around the $2200 mark so it was a great bargain thanks to you.

alexMc

Likes Dirt
i got deore LX on my kona it takes it's time to shift if ur not going fast so i just have to go fast

dillon

Likes Dirt
I've got the 03 Sram Rocket Shorty shifters too.
I just prefer the action of grip-shift and being able to grab a handful of 9 gears and drop them with one motion...
These are the top-of-range models, the left shifter has 2 extra engagement points between 1st/2nd, and 2nd/3rd. This allows you to slightly tune the front der. to use the whole cassette on the rear without annoying chain rub. I like it a lot !

ona rampage

Likes Dirt
My AC3 came with an LX rear derailler...took it out for one ride and it shifted horribly. After that I put on my old XT rear derailler and for my money it made a huge difference (better & faster shifting).
Arguably there is no reason why it would make a difference, but it did for me.... :?:

Ride_Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I got XT shifter with a deore mech becuase i killed my XT mech,
when i put the deore mech back on i could'nt really notice much difference.

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i agree with those that say a shifter makes the difference, i mean how different can a mech be? it's what is controlling it that matters... whatever i ditched that crap and went SS anyway...

Damo

Likes Dirt
You can have a alivio derailer with a crappy KMC chain & alivio shifters shifting better than a full XTR kit! It all comes down to:
- clean inner/outer cables at the right length. If you've bought a bike & its got the wrong length cables on it, up speccing to XTR r/mech is goin to do jack shit. This is the no. 1 problem if peoples rides aren't shifting properly. Gunked-up cables that are possibly too long or short.
- not tunned properly. Its important here to have ya high & low adjustments on ya r/mech spot on & have the right cable tension if ya want to fire off perfect shifts. fitting a new Xt stuff isn't going to fix this prob.
- worn chain/cassette. This can sometimes be another reason why ya gears jump around under load.

I do agree however that XT-XTR stuff performs way better (ya paid that extra coin it would want to). Especially noticed in the shifters. But if the cables are gunked-up or its not tunned properly its going to perform the same as the doere stuff when not set up proper. Therefore, the av. joe that's not really worried bout weight & having that perfect feeling shift from $200 shifters, deore stuff is fine. It does wat it is supposed to do when set up properly. The shimano web site has a few pdf files u can look at as to tunning ya shimano stuff right

schwing

Likes Dirt
To me it dosn't shift smoth under pressure like when your climbing.
It depends on how much pressure your talking about ?
I have always been taught to spin but back of the pressure on a gear change ( not always possible )
Try to anticipate / pre-empt your gear changes more and they'll be smoother.
personally i've run XT LX ( very nice ) and full deore ( fully functional, but more pedantic about set up ) and all were good .