Shipping a new bike

bigdamo

Likes Dirt
Ok I want to freight a bike from Brisbane(bike shop) to Sydney (residential).

Any recommendations of businesses that do this. Yes I have searched .Pack and send is all I can come up with,

Any one done this lately in covid times. I'm thinking it might take longer and cost more?

Litenbror

Eats Squid
I've used pack n send and when you include insurance they were the best price for the service. Not sure how prices and times have been affected by COVID.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
I have used pack and send a few times and they’ve been fine. Not since covid times though. Does the bike shop have a delivery service it uses? Wouldn’t it be easier to to sling them some cash to pack it up and send it?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I have used pack and send a few times and they’ve been fine. Not since covid times though. Does the bike shop have a delivery service it uses? Wouldn’t it be easier to to sling them some cash to pack it up and send it?
Usually they won't allow interstate sales unless it's a national chain store (ie: 99Bikes).

yuley95

Usually they won't allow interstate sales unless it's a national chain store (ie: 99Bikes).
Fair enough. I had a chain store do it for me once as the frame is was buying was new old stock so i guess there felt comfortable they weren’t stealing a sale off a franchise owner in another state. Now that i think about it, they did make a point of saying they dont usually do it and that i should tell people i bought the frame in person on holiday and they were just shipping it to my home for me… :rolleyes:

bigdamo

Likes Dirt
I asked they said no.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
I’ve used pack and send a few times with zero drama. Hurts paying the extra for the insurance but better to be safe than sorry in the instance of a frame. I shipped by Titan to Sydney (I think) from Brisbane recently and it almost got there overnight!

Rusty_68

say no to ooogamaflap
Pack and Send every time. I've sent heaps of bikes around the country using them and always a great service. Can't understand why they would say no?

Rusty_68

say no to ooogamaflap
I think I read somewhere for pack and send it is better to drop it into the depot.
Going via the P&S online process is cheaper. You get to put all the relevant info in yourself and print out the carrier documents and stick them onto the bike box. The only problem with that is, if the box is too big (LxWxH) or over a value of $3k, then you'll have to take it in and get them to process it for you. If you have both postcodes of the send and recieve, you can go to the online site and get an exact quote before yo go to the P&S depot/shop. Either way, dropping it to the shop is better than getting it collected.

yuley95

Going via the P&S online process is cheaper. You get to put all the relevant info in yourself and print out the carrier documents and stick them onto the bike box. The only problem with that is, if the box is too big (LxWxH) or over a value of $3k, then you'll have to take it in and get them to process it for you. If you have both postcodes of the send and recieve, you can go to the online site and get an exact quote before yo go to the P&S depot/shop. Either way, dropping it to the shop is better than getting it collected.
I took a packed frame into a pack and send once and the guy let me do everything online in the store to save money. I didn’t realise it was cheaper to do that so I was really happy he let me know and then allowed me to use the computer in the shop to do it. It was the best of both worlds as I was able to measure and weight it accurately there too. And drop it straight off of course.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
I took a packed frame into a pack and send once and the guy let me do everything online in the store to save money. I didn’t realise it was cheaper to do that so I was really happy he let me know and then allowed me to use the computer in the shop to do it. It was the best of both worlds as I was able to measure and weight it accurately there too. And drop it straight off of course.
When I have sent bikes it's the same price to have it picked up or dropped off but it is much cheaper to do it online.

bigdamo

Likes Dirt
Ok I just got my bike. This might help someone else. Brisbane to Sydney pick up from a business drop at residential place.

Pack and send Freight $250.00 insurance for $6500 $300

Smart Send $87

E-go $68

I used Parcel2courier . Freight $100 Insurance for $6500 $97 You can choose which freight company you want to deliver bike. I went with Toll. Good updated on the progress on shipping. They picked up in Brisbane on 2.00pm Monday and just dropped at my place at 11.00am today Wednesday.

All good considering alot of people off work in transport. It only went through 3 handles. My mate just freighted a bike to USA from Sydney with pack and send and the box went through 3 different couriers before it got to Sydney airport and he dropped the box off at the branch.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Ok I just got my bike. This might help someone else. Brisbane to Sydney pick up from a business drop at residential place.

Pack and send Freight $250.00 insurance for $6500 $300

Smart Send $87

E-go $68

I used Parcel2courier . Freight $100 Insurance for $6500 $97 You can choose which freight company you want to deliver bike. I went with Toll. Good updated on the progress on shipping. They picked up in Brisbane on 2.00pm Monday and just dropped at my place at 11.00am today Wednesday.

All good considering alot of people off work in transport. It only went through 3 handles. My mate just freighted a bike to USA from Sydney with pack and send and the box went through 3 different couriers before it got to Sydney airport and he dropped the box off at the branch.
Thanks for the info @bigdamo I haven't even heard of parcel2courier so will give them a go next time. Used Pack send in the past purely for the insurance as e-go, while cheap, don't offer the insurance for expensive goods.