Shock rebound not happy

Now I got the front dialled in I'm trying to sort out the rear shock.

The problem I have is the rebound. 1 click off slow and it packs down too much on the trail. 1 click faster than that and it wants to buck me off jumps.

Any ideas ?

moorey

call me Mia
Now I got the front dialled in I'm trying to sort out the rear shock.

The problem I have is the rebound. 1 click off slow and it packs down too much on the trail. 1 click faster than that and it wants to buck me off jumps.

Any ideas ?
What is it?

Rs Monarch rt debonair, 140mm on 2016 Norco sight. fitted with 2 bands in the pos side and running 30% sag.

Last edited:

Delazy

Got a new bike!
You already know my answer to the question...

Replace it with a Dbcoil il...it has given me a new found love for my bike...

Lost all confidence in the monarch when it bucked me down the side of a trail...the coil is the absolute opposite in how it is confidence inspiring with so much more grip mid corner but also a nice plush easily controllable landing

You already know my answer to the question...

Replace it with a Dbcoil il...it has given me a new found love for my bike...

Lost all confidence in the monarch when it bucked me down the side of a trail...the coil is the absolute opposite in how it is confidence inspiring with so much more grip mid corner but also a nice plush easily controllable landing
Hahaha. It's dam sexy that Dbcoil. The Mrs won't let me put one on in fear of all the ladies it will attract.

moorey

call me Mia
Rs Monarch rt debonair, 140mm on 2016 Norco sight. fitted with 2 bands in the pos side and running 30% sag.
I see. Never had a shock that's was way too fast and way too slow with just one click difference. Adding or reducing pressure will change the rebound either way. Maybe drop or add a couple of psi and check if you can find the sweet spot. Otherwise I'd say your shock has an issue.

I see. Never had a shock that's was way too fast and way too slow with just one click difference. Adding or reducing pressure will change the rebound either way. Maybe drop or add a couple of psi and check if you can find the sweet spot. Otherwise I'd say your shock has an issue.
Yer, it is what bugs me as there is no middle ground. If I increase the pressure and therefore decrease the sag say from 30% to 25% there is not enough rebound adjustment and the shock is too fast. I could try the other way with less pressure but the sag will increase beyond 30% and I feel this is too low in the travel.
I, say the shock needs more dampening adjustment so prob a H rebound tune as opposed to the current M. I am beginning to think it is because the needle is at the end part of the adjustment and at that point it may behave differently as opposed to somewhere in the middle.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Thought about running less sag?

All/most air out and cycle the shock a few times in and out on each or a few different rebound settings. Then blow it back up and test. If problem persists, seek professional assistance.

PHP:
Thought about running less sag?

All/most air out and cycle the shock a few times in and out on each or a few different rebound settings. Then blow it back up and test. If problem persists, seek professional assistance.
Yes, have run less sag and at 25% the reboud is too fast on the slowest setting.

Worth a try i supose, get the oil flowing fast and maybe fix it in the process. Now i got a job for after dinner.

RaID

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had the same problem on my 2014 Sight with the Fox Float rear shock. No matter how much I played with pressures and settings it was never perfect. I compromised on the faster side, however the final solution was to upgrade to a DB Inline.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
PHP:
Yes, have run less sag and at 25% the reboud is too fast on the slowest setting.

Worth a try i supose, get the oil flowing fast and maybe fix it in the process. Now i got a job for after dinner.
Yep, get the juices flowing. Hopefully blow any obstruction from the valving etc. Be careful and keep an ear out for bad noises.

Have you checked the max psi for the shock? Make sure you aren't exceeding that, though it is unlikely.

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Forget the pressure but will put the pump on it after dinner. Btw I'm 115kg kitted and the tune is M rebound and L compression.
Oops sorry, missed that post.

At your weight you're certainly at the top end of of what the damping tune would be able to deal with, theyre more of a one size fits most and people on the light or heavy side will always fall outside what will perform well. Id say the adjustment you're getting is the rebound circut being all but closed at the very end of the adjustment and then it opening up and being inadequate for your weight/psi.

Oops sorry, missed that post.

At your weight you're certainly at the top end of of what the damping tune would be able to deal with, theyre more of a one size fits most and people on the light or heavy side will always fall outside what will perform well. Id say the adjustment you're getting is the rebound circut being all but closed at the very end of the adjustment and then it opening up and being inadequate for your weight/psi.
That sounds about right.
I just had it apart ant it was 300psi with 4 bands.
Knocked it back to 2 bands and 290psi still with aruond 30% sag. It's softer through the mid stroke now by the feel of it but the rebound seems about the same.
Wait till tomorrow to test i guess.
I might have to change out the shim stack to a H tune as opposed to the current M tune on thenrebound side.

Last edited:

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That sounds about right.
I just had it apart ant it was 300psi with 4 bands.
Knocked it back to 2 bands and 290psi still with aruond 30% sag. It's softer through the mid stroke now by the feel of it but the rebound seems about the same.
Wait till tomorrow to test i guess.
I might have to change out the shim stack to a H tune as opposed to the current M tune on thenrebound side.
I would say that the heavier shim stack is going to get you a better rebound response.

For another point, if you tune your pressure to suit the number of bands you have in your shock so you bottom out very occasionally (ie, you get full travel from your shock) then adding bands will actually make your midstroke be less supportive not more. A more linear shock that gets full travel will have better midstroke support than a very progressive shock that also gets more travel. Both PSI will be different to achieve that but with fewer bands and more linear spring rate you should get a more supportive midstroke all things being equal.

I going to change the shim stack as I think this is what is needed to sort it.

I have not been getting full travel from the shock so, that is why I have dropped 2 bands. The shock feels much better.