Shock tuning

betadine

Likes Bikes
Hi there burners,

Got a shock tech question I was hoping someone could help with.

I am about to pull the trigger on a new Fuel EX but the performance level shock has no LSC. I’m keen to upgrade as I’ve found a few clicks of LSC has allowed me to really dial in the shock on my existing bike (SB 130).

If I purchase a higher spec upgrade from Fox, will I need to get it tuned? I have read in a few places that the current shock on the Fuel has a specific tune applied which really adds to its performance.

If I do, how do I find out what the tune it is and is this something one of the Aus suspension service centres could do?

Cheers

Peter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Hi there burners,

Got a shock tech question I was hoping someone could help with.

I am about to pull the trigger on a new Fuel EX but the performance level shock has no LSC. I’m keen to upgrade as I’ve found a few clicks of LSC has allowed me to really dial in the shock on my existing bike (SB 130).

If I purchase a higher spec upgrade from Fox, will I need to get it tuned? I have read in a few places that the current shock on the Fuel has a specific tune applied which really adds to its performance.

If I do, how do I find out what the tune it is and is this something one of the Aus suspension service centres could do?

Cheers

Peter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The shock that comes with the bike/frame will have a code on it that specifies what size and model the shock is and what tune it has from factory. While some replacement aftermarket shocks will vary slightly in feel due to inherently different air-curves (assuming it's not coil) and damper designs, typically the shock tune can be copied from the stock shock and mimicked in most common shocks by any of the major suspension shops locally.

betadine

Likes Bikes
Pretty sure you can buy the LSC knob assembly and fit it to that shock so you have LSC adjustment.

Update…Fox conversion kit is 808-17-471-KIT
Just following up on this. After heaps of research the kit I need is 808-17-470-kit but I can’t find one anywhere. Any leads on how I can grab one of these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Just following up on this. After heaps of research the kit I need is 808-17-470-kit but I can’t find one anywhere. Any leads on how I can grab one of these?

Call Cyclinic? Or another Fox agent.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Might be worth calling MTB Suspension Centre and NS Dynamics as well. Fox are perennially hopeless and those guys might have spares hanging around.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

oldcorollas

Levin the moment
No go at Cyclinic and Fox directly said not available for sale. Conflicting reports on the net. I’ll keep hunting!

FYI: just got an email that they are in stock at Cyclinic

is it worth $108?? ($95+shipping)

apparently you can adjust to 4 positions with the plastic cap, ala https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/img/help/page1132-CPJ1/808-17-471-KIT.jpg
but knob would give you intermediate positions too

can read more abotu using the plastic cap here

Last edited:

oldcorollas

Levin the moment
another option is to 3D print, but won't have nice detent clicks like the official one... (could be modified tho, to use the existign holes with a small bump on outer)

this is a nicer one, but US$25?? easy to design and probably rejig to have clicks

Last edited: