Shocks

ELX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey guys,I bought a dually with a Fox Vaniila R rear shock with 4.1 to 5.1 rear travel. I have never owned a dually so i dont know the first thing bout shocks. I am 40kgs so i woud really want to set the shock to the softestr most plush setting cause the bike is a dh bike for me. I'v got my hardtail for everything else. I know how to change forks dampening and stuff but the 2 things that are adjustable on the shock i dunno bout.

Thats not the exact shock but it's pretyt fucking close to it. Anyway there the little red thing at the top that turns and says somthing i dont remember and then there is the big washer thing on the thred holding the springin. I can loosen it till it comesoff that thred but then the spring moves. I thought to make it plusher i should have that as loose as possibe and then adjust the red nob at the top. But that could be completely wrong so really i have no idea. If anyone actually understands that please help me. Thanks doods.

S.

ex offender
The big washer thing is to adjust preload, basically if you screw it down tighter, you get more preload and therefore a slightly stiffer spring. Doesn't make much difference to stopping you bottom out, but it does adjust sag slightly. As you said, for maximum plushness you should be running minimum preload (only just enough to hold the spring in place, so there's no slop), but if you find the bike to be too stiff still you're going to need a softer spring.

The red knob is to adjust rebound speed. Turn it clockwise as you look at it to make the rebound slower. If you have it too fast, you'll find that the bike bucks and bounces a lot, and feels generally sort of uncontrolled. However if you set it too slow you'll notice that it starts soaking up the kick off lips, and the bike will be a bit harder to bunnyhop. That's something you have to play around with, but my recommendation would be to run it reasonably slow.

ELX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks guys, Socket sweet i get the washer thing thats all god and it's not really to stiff felt nice going down smoe small stairs well nice compared to my hardtail but yeah. But with the nob what would be better for like say rock gardens and stuff i will experiment around i spose. But i dont get the bike till chritsmass i just got to ride it in my backyard for like 2 minutes but it felt sweet down the strrs. I'm really looking forward to setting it up on christmass day and hitting some trails before i leave for melbourne.

S.

ex offender
You're comin to Melbourne? Post up in the Watering Hole and we'll show ya around...

ELX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah but i'm not riding :( Cant get my bike there so i am just going there for a few days on to meet some relatives for christrmass. So i get to see the bike for like 4 hours till i have to leave for like 4 days. If i can get my bike there i will try very ery hard.

S.

ex offender
haha, ship your bike to Melbourne, then it'll be waiting for you when you get here!

bazza

look at me
if your flying with virgin you can get your bike on for free. well a friend did anyway and heaps of local roadies do. but road bike vs dh bike = small weight difference.