ShockWiz - Automated Suspension Tuning

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
Second ride report.

Yea, this thing is pretty cool. Dead easy to set up (though it's a 7 minute job if you're running out the door for a ride) and really easy to use.

I rode the a short loop on Saturday afternoon with the shockwiz in the Playful setting (because I'm a playful kinda guy) and scored 88/100.
Honestly, the first time that I unlocked the phone after my first ride I expected to be told to trade my bike in for a tricycle and grow a pair! So whist there was some room for improvement I was pretty chuffed.The trail was about 17km long and 45 mins and I had no problem hitting 100% confidence.

View attachment 336013

I'm not sure about the suggested changes to the High speed compression, because it's already wound all the way off. I weigh 86kg butt naked and bone dry so I'm not sure what it's on about.

This morning I did the same the same ride with the Shock wiz in the Balanced setting and got pretty much the same result. So I'm keen to do a little more research into how these settings compare.

I'll try the Shockwiz on my rear shock on Friday morning and see how that goes. I've given my rear shock even less attention than my fork in the past so the results might be more interesting. I'll also handball the Shockwiz to another rider next week and we'll see how it works for them.
Lighter oil is your HSC solution. Old school tuning.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Which model did those who have purchased one gone for?
Standard Shockwiz or direct mount?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
cheers

had to drill some holes in my 4th token, was in-between 3-4 tokens, 4 holes drilled in the bottom token did the trick

now I need to move onto the rear shock
Great tuning outcome. Getting keener and keener for one of these the more experiences come through.

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Which model did those who have purchased one gone for?
Standard Shockwiz or direct mount?

Direct mount I think is for RS1 and also work on a leftie

I think most purchase the standard version

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Direct mount I think is for RS1 and also work on a leftie

I think most purchase the standard version

Yeah that's what I thought.... cant ever see myself with an RS1 or a Lefty!!

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
so, I'm hoping to have a play with one in a few weeks.

Sounds like people are chasing top marks from the shock wiz, but are the forks actually feeling better when suggested changes are made?

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast

Sounds like people are chasing top marks from the shock wiz, but are the forks actually feeling better when suggested changes are made?
This is a very important point.
No point in the electronic box telling you that your suspension is perfect when it feels like shit.

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Yep,mine feels a lot better, I'm not very good at setting up suspension

My right hand now doesn't fall asleep!

Mimaki

Squid
out of interest, more ramp up was suggested for my diamond fork, Im planning on dropping a fair bit of body weight.. would being a lighter rider have the same effect?

markb84

Likes Dirt
out of interest, more ramp up was suggested for my diamond fork, Im planning on dropping a fair bit of body weight.. would being a lighter rider have the same effect?
The weight of the rider will effect the settings, a lighter rider will need less air pressure to reach desired sag. Altering the air pressure significantly will warrant re-visiting other settings as well.
Air ramp/volume, likewise may change but it depends on just how much of a change you make to the pressure, your riding style and tastes.

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Got mine from cyclinic on friday, got out to ride it today.
Pressure, ramp, rebound all green
High speed compression red (too firm) and low speed compression yellow (too firm) and bottom out resistance yellow (remove resistance)
My shock is a monarch rt3 hv, so it doesn't have external compression advice.
Adding rings should improve my high speed compression, but will throw the bottom out resistance out. Right?
Haven't done the forks yet, that is Tuesday's session.
Any pro tuning tips for this?

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My direct mount shockwiz has broken. The direct mount connection has suffered a fatigue failure. It looks like a rubbish flimsy design, it's going back to Pushys to see if i can swap it for a normal shockwiz.

Worst case scenario is unscrewing the broken direct mount valve and screwing in a valve from a rear shock - it look like this will just turn it into a normal shockwiz.

Attachments

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My direct mount shockwiz has broken. The direct mount connection has suffered a fatigue failure. It looks like a rubbish flimsy design, it's going back to Pushys to see if i can swap it for a normal shockwiz.

Worst case scenario is unscrewing the broken direct mount valve and screwing in a valve from a rear shock - it look like this will just turn it into a normal shockwiz.
poo..............

Maybe Sram in Melbourne can help? I had some issues and they were really helpful

SDA

Likes Dirt
What position do you put your LSC on? ie. My fork and shock has Open, Trail and Firm therefore should I be testing in Open or Trail?

I tried the Shockwiz in both Open and Trail over the weekend and got very very mixed results.

Any suggestions? Should I be doing all the testing in Open?

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What position do you put your LSC on? ie. My fork and shock has Open, Trail and Firm therefore should I be testing in Open or Trail?

I tried the Shockwiz in both Open and Trail over the weekend and got very very mixed results.

Any suggestions? Should I be doing all the testing in Open?
Sounds like you've got a Fit 4 Damper, you can only tune it in open, since you can only change LSC in open.