Shoes/cleats/pedals

RangaWal

Likes Bikes
Looking for options. A mate has got me interested in MTB orienteering. Did an intro event with the family, and really enjoyed it. So after shoes that are also good for light bushwalking/hiking (if they exist).

Any suggestions on options (including good suppliers)?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Been all clip in stiff mtb shoes for a long time... reverted to my 2008 Shimano DX shoes about a year ago for walking flexibility. Just bought some 5:10 hellcat spd shoes... feeling good so far on Time MX pedals.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Hmmm, this could be a tricky one. The lowest point of the shoe is the cleat so you're always gonna be walking on the cleat however you tackle this. I've seen cleat covers but that'd make it worse.
Might be time to go full Sam Hill and run flats. ;)

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
The lowest point of the shoe is the cleat so you're always gonna be walking on the cleat however you tackle this.
Both the DX and the Hellcats cleats (Time ATAC) sit up in further than the sole surface, so you are not walking on them. Obviously the soles are stiffer on SPD shoes so its a bit of give and take with shoes for flats.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I was doing this and used a couple of different types of shoe. None were any good as hiking shoes so I ditched clipins and went flats with Salomon hiking shoes. I also drop one set of pins out of the pedals so I can go barefoot but I know I am weird.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Looking for options. A mate has got me interested in MTB orienteering. Did an intro event with the family, and really enjoyed it. So after shoes that are also good for light bushwalking/hiking (if they exist).

Any suggestions on options (including good suppliers)?
My wife is interested in this too. Can you shoot me some details or a website to look up?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk