shoes for flat pedals - help a tight ass out

nathanm

Eats Squid
so I ordered spd shoes by accident for the girls new bike, which are now going back to CRC unless someone wants some size 37 5.10 maltese falcon womens shoes for $50?

I know nothing about Flat Pedals and shoes (and almost anything really) having ridden clipless since 1988.

she just has some budget/basic plastic pedals atm so am I best to -

a) buy the best flat pedal specific shoes I can afford
b) buy a good pair of pedals and she can just use her runners.
c) buy a pair of vans or DC or something because they are just as good.
d) insert your best option here...……….

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Does she race ? Is she confident on the bike ? At size 37 she must be 12ish ?

She could ride the clipless shoes without cleats on grippy pedals or fit a set of worn cleats and slack the pedals right off, you'd be surprised how quickly they get used to them.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
My daughter is riding in a set of these with no cleats and a rubber insert instead of cleats. Probably not as good as the real deal but they work ok.

Or if you want I have some clipless pedals you can have cheap, I've been busy moving most of my stuff across to flats so have an excess of clipless pedals.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Nah she's 39

My girl (friend)
Haha... was thinking you were fitting your daughter out... my missus (44) is size 39 and shes 5'6", 37 is pretty decent sized feet for a young girl.

So at 39 she will have her own opinion, can you convince her to clip in ? Its not as bad as it seems if you get the right pedals.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Grab some good nylon pedals - crc had nukeproof neutrons on sale for about $40 and there's also some fire eye for a similar price. These are colourful, light weight, sealed bearings, replaceable pins, and durable. Most brands of sneakers (in the skate shoe style) should grip on just fine, at least they do for me. You should get the job done for under $100.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Get some decent mid range flat pedals (Nukeproof Neutrons, RF Chester, OneUp Composite or the like) & use the Falcons with them. I could be wrong, but I think the Maltese Falcons come with rubber covering the cleat recess out of the box?

Either way, I ran Hellcats on flats (OneUp Alu) for a little bit, and they still had plenty of grip even without covering the cleat recess. Almost too much grip, classic problem of not being able to adjust foot without purposefully lifting.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
I've got OneUp Composites on the Twinzer at the moment. I use the cheapest pair of Shimano flat shoes I can find at Pushys or MTB Direct as this is the exploration/trail building rig so they don't need to be pretty or flash.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Haha... was thinking you were fitting your daughter out... my missus (44) is size 39 and shes 5'6", 37 is pretty decent sized feet for a young girl.

So at 39 she will have her own opinion, can you convince her to clip in ? Its not as bad as it seems if you get the right pedals.
Yeah she's only 5ft 4 and a bit.

Id love her to go clueless but flat pedals to start as she builds confidence

nathanm

Eats Squid
My daughter is riding in a set of these with no cleats and a rubber insert instead of cleats. Probably not as good as the real deal but they work ok.

Or if you want I have some clipless pedals you can have cheap, I've been busy moving most of my stuff across to flats so have an excess of clipless pedals.

hey mate, what did you do or where did you get "rubber inserts" for these shoes? They seem difficult to get in terms of an off the shelf product?

thanks for the offer too, I have some platform clipless pedals as well but I don't want to see her have a "can't clip out" fall and scare her off. She pretty much sees blue trail as double black diamond atm.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
hey mate, what did you do or where did you get "rubber inserts" for these shoes? They seem difficult to get in terms of an off the shelf product?

thanks for the offer too, I have some platform clipless pedals as well but I don't want to see her have a "can't clip out" fall and scare her off. She pretty much sees blue trail as double black diamond atm.
Got them from my spare parts bins

I know that's not helpful... Ummmm, I think they may have come on a set of Shimano clipless shoes a while back? But I reckon a couple of rubber strips cut to the right shape with strategically placed holes would probably do the job.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Got them from my spare parts bins

I know that's not helpful... Ummmm, I think they may have come on a set of Shimano clipless shoes a while back? But I reckon a couple of rubber strips cut to the right shape with strategically placed holes would probably do the job.

Cheers for that, would be a good solution if I could find some cleat covers. Might have a crack at ghetto'ing something up in that vein.