Shoes - Northwave Scream SRS vs. Shimano M089

TonyMax

Caviar tastes on a popcorn budget
With a birthday coming up I'm spending money I don't have yet, and tossing up between these:

shoes.jpg

Shimano M089 vs. Northwave Scream SRS.

Shimanos I can get for sub $57 (Merlin), Northwaves under $102 (Wiggle).

I have Northwave SRS road shoes which I like and they're quite comfortable, the MTB shoes I'm currently using are Shimano but basic.

I like the Northwave because that little bit more bling than Shimano and the colour matches my bike, but the Shimanos are cheap cheap and should probably do everything I want in a shoe (I ride cross country/generic trail riding, not downhill or all mountain or anything requiring much talent).

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with these shoes or can you offer anything which might sway me one way or the other?

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Which fit you better the north waves or shimano?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quency

Likes Dirt
I have the Shimano shoes and so does a mate. put about 6 months riding in them so far including a trip to thredbo and several trips to canberra with back to back days of riding. found them to be very comfortable. i've always run shimano mtb shoes though so i'm used to the shape of them. my only gripe is that the sole is probably a little flexy. my last pair were much stiffer.

I have Northwave road shoes. they are good too. Narrower fit than the shimano shoe. not used their mtb shoes though

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
i like northwave cos of the narrower fit for my foot, shimano i only ever found so-so, spec. shoes i like also
my northwave's did tear though near the buckle, after about 10 months

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Can't comment on the Northwaves, but have had a pair of m089s for a couple of years now doing XC duties. They are a solid shoe and I can't fault them. I actually find then a bit narrow in fit but I have wide feet too.

Surprised no one has chimed in yet with the "flats are better" mantra... :behindsofa:

Travis22

Likes Dirt
I thought my current Shimano's felt ok till i tried on the current XC7's and my heart sunk.

Now my shoes just feel like junk in comparison, if your tempted to see how nice shoes can feel deff try some of the XC7's on. Be a while before i can buy some but theres no question which shoes id buy next.

Travis.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I just bought the shimano from wiggle and waiting for it to arrive. Cost was double that but they are not orange. Has a lot of good reviews and the one thing everyone said was to go a size bigger than normal for them. Use the shimano shoe size chart to check.

Fred Nurk

No custom title here
Northwaves have an interesting feature that doesn't show up for a couple of years, the adhesives on the soles let go, one ride they're fine, the next half the sole has come off. Its repairable with Shoe Goo, but its a bit of a pain.

I wear Northwaves because they fit better, there's probably little other advantage than that for me.