Shop Wheel build

jrewing

Eats Squid
So i can build wheels but theyre ok quality. This time i had a rim i bought ages ago, and finally thought to get it put on my DH back wheel in prep for Maydena’s next season. Im new to Tassie so dont have a local for odds and ends yet and thought id give a major shop a go. Ended up being $200 for straight guage spokes and labor only, which i thought was pretty heavy.
My beef being it doesnt run true with about 2-3mm run out. Also this was invoiced as a ‘premium wheel build’.
Also the wheels done by the couple guys ive used always were dead perfect.
Thoughts??

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I get 2-3mm before I even do the final tension and true. And I'm a rookie.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

jrewing

Eats Squid
Thanks. Ill take it back and say do better please. How far should they back the spokes off to go at it again?

PJO

in me vL comy
$200 seems very steep considering straight gauge spokes are not that expensive. Would be ok for a pair of wheels but not a single wheel.
Who built them for you?
If you're in Hobart happy to have a look over them for you.

Thanks. Ill take it back and say do better please. How far should they back the spokes off to go at it again?
So is it 2-3mm wobble (lateral trueness) or 2-3mm off to one side (dish)?
Just take them back. With a new rim you should be able to get a wheel laterally true to within 0.2-0.3mm, radially true to within 0.5mm, dish to within 1mm (this is 0.5mm to one side). With nice even spoke tensions. If the rim is not new then it becomes a bit more difficult.

Last edited:

jrewing

Eats Squid
$200 seems very steep considering straight gauge spokes are not that expensive. Would be ok for a pair of wheels but not a single wheel.
Who built them for you?
If you're in Hobart happy to have a look over them for you.

So is it 2-3mm wobble or 2-3mm off to one side?
Just take them back. With a new rim you should be able to get a wheel laterally true to within 0.2-0.3mm, radially true to within 0.5mm, dish to within 1mm (this is 0.5mm to one side). With nice even spoke tensions. If the rim is not new then it becomes a bit more difficult.
Thanks yeah its a 2-3mm wobble, radial and dish is good. Spokes and nipples were $96 all up. Im in launceston unfortunately but thanks for offering.
Actually keen to see what they say.
MyRide was the shop. For 32 champion spokes and nipples it was $96 cost.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Given the quality of that build, I’d be a little worried they’ll load up the tension in one place to try and straighten it out and you may end up with uneven tension…

I’m guessing you don’t have a tension gauge on hand. Would be useful to check the final product as it would likely be better to have a small hop and even tension than a straight wheel and uneven tension.

jrewing

Eats Squid
No i dont. Yeah ill let them know my feelings on the premium wheel build as per the invoice. Id like to see a standard build
Yeah i did say to the wife, i have a feeling that i imagine many guys in gaol have experienced after dropping the soap!

Jpez

Down on the left!
Sorry for the thread derail but this is RB.
I paid $89 for 32 DT Swiss competition double butted j bend and
$28.80 for brass proloc nips and $90 for the build from Astroboy. Reasonable price or no?

PJO

in me vL comy
Given the quality of that build, I’d be a little worried they’ll load up the tension in one place to try and straighten it out and you may end up with uneven tension…

I’m guessing you don’t have a tension gauge on hand. Would be useful to check the final product as it would likely be better to have a small hop and even tension than a straight wheel and uneven tension.
Just pluck the spokes, if they give a similar tone they are all relatively even, you should be able to hear big differences in tension.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
For a comparison I recently got a quote for a wheel build from a shop here that I like. Their fee was:
  • $75 per build
  • $2 for DT champion spokes
  • $0.40 per brass nipple.
His shop has built a few wheels for me over the years and I have been happy with their work, but in this instance I figured by the time I procured hubs the build was going to be pretty spicy.