shopping for your bike/parts/clothing??

hey all,
I'm from newastle/central coast..
I'm looking for the best place to buy parts from and build a bike up.. where do yous all shop? buying ride clothing, daily clothing, bikes, gear.. any of it.. no shops seam to have it all.
or any good websites you can recommend.

andy73

Likes Bikes and Dirt
go to your closest bike shop, that should be your only option
I don't think that's realistic anymore. What if your LBS doesn't stock the brand you want? Or what if your LBS is run by dickheads? Or what if your LBS is 50% more expensive?

I believe in supporting the local industry and I certainly buy my high-end items (such as frames etc) from my local shops - I like the support etc that comes with that. But when I can jump online and find a store that stocks pretty much the entire range of TLD and order multiple things at once, while saving money, why wouldn't/shouldn't I? It's a global economy and some bike stores here in Aus (such as TBSM and ForTheRiders) are working that out. I have bought Boxxer WC's and Fox 40's these past 6 months from those two stores (online) cheaper than anywhere else in the world.
The other issue is convenience and availability. I can get on Chain Reaction and order such a massive range of parts in one hit - there's no way I can do that at any one store locally.

Bottom line, I'll support the local industry and would prefer to buy the really expensive items from them but when it comes to componentry, gear etc I don; think you can just throw a blanket over the whole lot and say 'Only buy from the closest bike shop'.

haltz

Likes Dirt
Hey man its a weird suggestion cos hes such a small bike shop but try carters cycles at boolaroo i go there for most of my riding gear because he has a massive trailer full of stock that he carts around to bmx races, and for some reason he seems to be in contact with every importers rep so he can normally get anything in you want and always goes as close to matchin online as he can, as for bikes/frames, off the top of my head i know he gets intense, commencal, se, devinci, and marin

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Perfect list,

Along the shop only local... I at least give them a chance to match (or close to) before I buy over seas. But often they take 4 times as long to get the part and its more expensive.

As long as you now exactly what to get, overseas is great. But i tend to by local for frames and forks, just in case warranty is needed. TBSM often can match overseas prices from experience.

morticus

Likes Dirt
I know its an old thread, but a free plug to Carters Cycles yet again. I just picked up a brand new TLD D2 for $150. He still has a couple available in the new shop over at Glendale. Support your local LBS when you can guys!

carlamast

Cannon Fodder
I have bought good and comfortable clothes in this shop. And for gear like mountain bike clothes men and women, shoes et, this is better than anywhere else Ive found including cheap price, range and service and speed.

Mountain Bike Clothing Men