Short travel dual suspension frames for the modern huckwit

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nah never rang me back, I'll give them another buzz today and find out what the story is. The problem I now have is that I've pretty much sold my current 29er and I'm going to NZ over Christmas and need to get something to replace it.
After calling again today they confirmed no stock until February 2020. Pretty shit customer service so I'll just get one from 99 Bikes, it's not like I'll ever have to deal with them except for warranty.
Or find something else....

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
After calling again today they confirmed no stock until February 2020. Pretty shit customer service so I'll just get one from 99 Bikes, it's not like I'll ever have to deal with them except for warranty.
Or find something else....
It’s not bad is it, you are prepared to walk in and drop $7k but they can’t even get excited about it..

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I find it amazing that so many bike retailers provide such poor customer service. I would have thought they'd be keen not only to sell the bike but also to try and generate some rapport so that I went to them for servicing and upgrades.
You can see why direct to customer is becoming more prevalent with manufacturers, I'd rather just get a Norco box in the post than deal with some pimply 19 year old who doesn't know shit from clay.
It's a pity YT don't have any decent Jeffsy's in stock or I would have ordered one already.
The hunt continues.....

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I find it amazing that so many bike retailers provide such poor customer service. I would have thought they'd be keen not only to sell the bike but also to try and generate some rapport so that I went to them for servicing and upgrades.
You can see why direct to customer is becoming more prevalent with manufacturers, I'd rather just get a Norco box in the post than deal with some pimply 19 year old who doesn't know shit from clay.
It's a pity YT don't have any decent Jeffsy's in stock or I would have ordered one already.
The hunt continues.....
+1 with this over the weekend. I asked for availability on a frame, and gave make, model, model year, material and size (2020 Norco Torrent steel frame in Size L). I knew it wasn't a good start when I had to explain what frame-only is. The young pup then had to "check if that is possible" (It's advertised on the website FFS...). Once someone else told him it was possible, he then wanted to get my payment. I had to explain from him I needed to know if it was available before I was going to order it. "Errr, ummm, yeah we should be able to get it - just come in and we'll get your details". Explained I live over an hours drive away, so asked him when they'd be available (again) - "Umm, well we need to get your order submitted before we can work out how long it will be". This went on and on and round in circles. I eventually left a phone number so he could call me and let me know an E.T.A - only to be told he'd give me a call when they come in! No mate - once again - can you please check with them Monday and let me know when they'll be in? "Oh okay, we'll do that then".

I only called because they were open on a Sunday, I knew they probably wouldn't have an answer then and there being the weekend but if they'd taken my details and gotten back to me I'd be a happy customer. Needless to say I didn't hear anything from them, and won't be buying from YVC again (I have twice in the past, and they were equally hopeless both those times too. Including - not calling when my frames arrived, taking over a hour to find a frame in store I had called ahead telling them I was coming to collect earlier in the day, fitting the wrong shock to one of them, and leaving the axle and dropout out of the box on the second). If Norco sold direct and had stock or E.T.A within a month or two I'd have a frame on order already.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The hunt continues.....
My closest LBS is a Trek only store, they are great guys and easy to deal with. Pity I don’t want a Trek bike.. But I do buy my kids bikes/parts from them. So much easier to deal with the big machine that Trek is, no guessing if parts/gear are in stock or when they will arrive. Think this will be the future of a lot bike stores, doing one brand and doing it very well.

Imagine walking into any other retail industry will $$$$ in your pocket ready to go. At David Jones you get a free stylist who selects & brings you all the clothes while you sit back drinking coffee.. And free valet parking..

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
+1 with this over the weekend. I asked for availability on a frame, and gave make, model, model year, material and size (2020 Norco Torrent steel frame in Size L). I knew it wasn't a good start when I had to explain what frame-only is. The young pup then had to "check if that is possible" (It's advertised on the website FFS...). Once someone else told him it was possible, he then wanted to get my payment. I had to explain from him I needed to know if it was available before I was going to order it. "Errr, ummm, yeah we should be able to get it - just come in and we'll get your details". Explained I live over an hours drive away, so asked him when they'd be available (again) - "Umm, well we need to get your order submitted before we can work out how long it will be". This went on and on and round in circles. I eventually left a phone number so he could call me and let me know an E.T.A - only to be told he'd give me a call when they come in! No mate - once again - can you please check with them Monday and let me know when they'll be in? "Oh okay, we'll do that then".

I only called because they were open on a Sunday, I knew they probably wouldn't have an answer then and there being the weekend but if they'd taken my details and gotten back to me I'd be a happy customer. Needless to say I didn't hear anything from them, and won't be buying from YVC again (I have twice in the past, and they were equally hopeless both those times too. Including - not calling when my frames arrived, taking over a hour to find a frame in store I had called ahead telling them I was coming to collect earlier in the day, fitting the wrong shock to one of them, and leaving the axle and dropout out of the box on the second). If Norco sold direct and had stock or E.T.A within a month or two I'd have a frame on order already.
Not sure if the fellas are surfing RB on their smoko, but I did get a call back with an E.T.A just before. They're not due in for approx. 3 months, did suggest looking at Kona Honzos which are available now, but they don't really meet my requirements.

Flow-Rider

Burner

That sounds close to the experience I had with not 1 but 2 66 bikes stores. I ended up buying online virtually the same bike but a run out model for a couple of thousand less. Fuck people around, I'm not spending my hard earned cash at your store.

Last edited:

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nope, never been to this store before they just had the bike I wanted. I'll never go there unless for warranty I get my parts online and if there's anything I can't do myself it will go to Astro.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Care to share if there is any more?
They have a large but not in xtr spec, they claim to have the last few in the country until next year but that's salesman talk.
It rode pretty well considering it was straight out of the box, 12 speed xtr seemed remarkably good as don't rate the 11 speed at all. I took it through the local skate park but wearing my work clothes and riding flats in business shoes kept me from doing too much other than some roll outs on the bowl. Pike ultimate seems like any other Pike to me but the rear is pretty plush and also pedalled well
I'll change a few things on it like brakes wheels and dropper but probably not until I get back from taking it to NZ over Christmas.