Should I bin this carbon bar?

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Not as clear cut as the helmet I think...

And no the clamp wasn’t tight - about 3-4 pounds.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
This is the crash that keeps on giving!!! That bar is cooked. I'm assuming your brake or shifter rotated in the crash and put those gouges in? It's like the beginning of a pipe cutter...

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Bin the whole bike and gear. I am well set up to recycle or reuse it all in an environmentally friendly way.
Bin the rider too.

How deep are the inboard markings?

I vote keep. turn them into 600mm old school bars lol.

Haakon

This is the crash that keeps on giving!!! That bar is cooked. I'm assuming your brake or shifter rotated in the crash and put those gouges in? It's like the beginning of a pipe cutter...
Yeah, Guide clamp rotated. I was soooooo freaking careful about tightening it too. It’s “just” tight enough to stop it rotating when I mashed the downshift lever, but still gouged the bar :(

Haakon

What if it’s just the lacquer...?

Sigh. If this was a rim I’d not even think about it... I’ve got a dozen rock gouges in the rims as deep as this scratch.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just been sent a photo of a mate whose carbon bars let go. No gouges or cracks but they still failed between grip and shifter.

He has decidedly less skin on him than before but thankfully "no bones broken Mr Rudd".

I've binned carbon bars with lighter scratches than these ones. Bin, Vibrocore selected for future purchases.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Do the gouges go into the carbon fibers, or are they just marks on the clear coat? If there are no loose fibers I'd keep riding. Every carbon bar I've owned has marks from the clamps even though I've been sooooooooper careful about tightening. I'm 100kg kitted up and the only components that have cracked/ let go on me have been alloy or steel.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can you not just pump expanding foam into any other handlebar? I'm somehow wanting to buy vibrocore bars now lol, thanks @Haakon :S
I bet you probably could, and would it make them any worse to ride? Probably not. It's a case of selecting the correct density though..

I see a trip to Bunnings in your future!

Haakon

Do the gouges go into the carbon fibers, or are they just marks on the clear coat? If there are no loose fibers I'd keep riding. Every carbon bar I've owned has marks from the clamps even though I've been sooooooooper careful about tightening. I'm 100kg kitted up and the only components that have cracked/ let go on me have been alloy or steel.
Just the clear coat “I think”... And I rode another 30kms of the Epic trail on them.

But.

Hadn’t heard of the Vibrocore - looks like that might be the answer! I did like the feel of the carbon bars...