Should I bin this carbon bar?

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I put them back on... Two bike shops looked at them in person and said they’re fine.

I did some riding on the alloy bars last week and a lap of Stromlo today with the carbons has mostly assured me it’s not placebo effect - they’re way nicer to ride on!

But. I’m still paranoid... I’ll get the Spank Vibrocore and if that’s still not to my liking a new carbon bar.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Brake levers I’ve mostly fixed with a dremel - cleaned up the casting so it snugly wraps the bar.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Renthal. It's what they do.
Yikes, it’s the other brand I considered... I went with the Giant one as I know they know how to make carbon and was a little cheaper. Plus the gold put me off.

I’ll be interested to see if the Vibrocore can match the feel.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Yikes, it’s the other brand I considered... I went with the Giant one as I know they know how to make carbon and was a little cheaper. Plus the gold put me off.

I’ll be interested to see if the Vibrocore can match the feel.
They can't. I have a set of the 35mm vibrocore bars and whilst they mute the trail a more than standard alloy bars, the carbon do it noticeably more. The Spank bars are nice and stiff though, great feel in the corners.

I preferred the feel of the Spank bars over the Renthal fat bar lites I had on before them but much prefer the M7 Enve over them all (although that could be all a lie led by wallet pain!)....nah the Enve do feel great. Stiff and they take the edge off the trail giving my elbows a much easier time.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
I think you are onto something there - I prefer the Enve flat bars on the Tallboy over the Thomsons on the Ibis.

They just feel more compliant.

There *is* a difference.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I found the Renthal Carbons a bit too flexy under heavy braking or aggressive steering. Had no drama with them other than that. I changed to 31.8 Spank Oozy Vibracores and much prefer them. I find they actually do a better job of filtering the fine buzz from the trail (ie: crunchy gravel or small rock bumps) and without the vague steering feeling I didn't like with the Renthals. Normally I hate alloy bars as the "bark" through the bars over sharp edges hurts my wrists, but no such worries with the Vibracores. Was best of both worlds for me.

FWIW - I am about 93kg kitted and tend to ride with a lot of weight on the front wheel so it would depend how you're using them to some extent I suspect.

Jpez

Down on the left!
That actually sounds like a great idea.

Rotorburn Hive mind: What expanding foam would do a good job of damping vibrations?
I’m sure there’s a fine line between too much foam, too dense foam or not enough.
I’m sure Spank have done their sums to get it just right otherwise you’d hear of other people doing the same thing.
I ve used a lot of foam for sealing and insulating and it only takes a split second squirt to put way to much into a space. So you may just end up making your bars heavier and little else.
But give it a go on and old set and report back.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I think you are onto something there - I prefer the Enve flat bars on the Tallboy over the Thomsons on the Ibis.

They just feel more compliant.

There *is* a difference.
There sure is. I love my Enve flat bars. I’m hoping a pro components ( the shimano owned carbon brand) is 80% as good as I just don’t have the wallet for a pile of Enve bars for the fleet

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I’m sure there’s a fine line between too much foam, too dense foam or not enough.
Trial and error will be a fairly sizeable aspect..... Key factors will be volumetric expansion (eg. 100mL of the base parts will grow by how much?), rate of cure and extent of expansion within the cure time (it will slow as it cures, so you'll tend to have a denser foam around the outer limit of the blob).

The difficulty with a handlebar is that it's such a long, thin shape; ideally you'd need your source pool of foaming agents to be at the centre so it can expand somewhat equally to both ends of the bar. If you pour it all down to one end and let it grow from there, you'll either have a ridiculous amount of wastage as it spills out the other end, or an inconsistent density as it'll grow quickly (low density due to low viscosity/high expansion rate) in the fresh mix stage) from the base end, and denser at the other end as the growth rate slows due to increasing viscosity as the mix cures.

So what you really need to know is the internal volume of the handlebar, and the volumetric expansion of the foam. Then you'll be able to work out how much of the foam base you'll need to fill the bar.