Should I get a Polygon or a Giant reign?

Hi everyone, i'm in a bit of a dilemma here. I am looking for an all mountain bike as I've started getting into trail riding and want a dually, as my current bike is a Norco Sasquatch. I've decided for an all mountain bike over a trail bike such as a trance because I prefer the lower, jumpier geometry of an all mountain bike coming from a bmx/dh background, and I especially like the downhill section of the trail. I also want it to do a little light free ride so I think the extra travel will come in handy. I don't want to spend more than $2000.

Now, I could have got a 2012 Giant reign 2 for $1600 at my LBS because it was on sale, but it was only a medium, and after riding it I found out that I need a large. There are also no new large reigns in WA for sale at the moment, only mediums. Then after some research, I found this bike called a Polygon Collosus AX 3.0 for just under $2000 and it comes in a large. The polygons components are amazing for the price, its spec is on par with all the high end $3500+ all mountain bikes and comes with a with full deore xt groupset, fox talon 36 forks and all the other bells and whistles.

Polygon does not seem to be that big in Australia but seems to be popular in indonesia and their pro team is amazing. That being said, i'm still not sure if I should buy this polygon or wait for the 2013 giant reigns coming in a few weeks and get a large 2013 giant reign 2 then, which I will probably get for about $2000, but still, the spec will not be as high end as the polygon. I've also looked all around the second hand market and haven't come up with much. Any ideas?

static_X3

Likes Dirt
Wait for the Giant. Even If it's not as well equiped component wise my guess is the suspension design will make up for that.

MBPL

Banned
Polygon VS Reign

Polygon are unknown and only sell out of Sydney or online.

The bike has impressive specs for the $$$s.
http://www.bicyclesonline.com.au/2011-polygon-collosus-ax-3-0-shimano-deore-xt-30-speed/
Ploygon VS Reign PM.jpg

It won't be possible to ride a Polygon before you purchase although they do allow you to return it in 14 days. Their policy reads well! (damn that will make it a good back up for a 24 hour event)
You can't beat a Giant for getting what you pay for. And a lifetime frame warranty and plenty of service at your LBS........ And you can ride with all your Giant mates!

I would think of a Polygon purchase as the $1,998 spent as being good value for all the components that come on the bike - the frame is costing very little.
If it is a pig then ride it until you save and buy a better frame and change the gear over. I got a replacement carbon frame recently and changing the gear over was a breeze.
I don't think I have read a ride report on a Polygon nor do I know anyone who has ridden one.

MRO

Likes Dirt
The latest Australian Mountain Bike magazine tests both bikes you mention.

The spec sheet above quotes the spec for the Reign X1 which is different from the Reign you are looking at.

I ride a 2012 Giant Reign 1 and highly recommend it. Worth spending the extra for the 1 over the 2 just for the dropper post and better brakes. I picked mine up for $2300 about 9 months ago so most dealers should be able to order you in a Large for not much more than $2k.

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Comparing a 2011 bike to a 2012. The 2011 will always be cheaper.

The spec sheet above quotes the spec for the Reign X1 which is different from the Reign you are looking at.

I ride a 2012 Giant Reign 1 and highly recommend it. Worth spending the extra for the 1 over the 2 just for the dropper post and better brakes. I picked mine up for $2300 about 9 months ago so most dealers should be able to order you in a Large for not much more than $2k.
Do this, if you can't get a decent price out of your Giant dealer, I'm sure there are others you can try and see if you can get a X1 for 2k.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
that comparo above is either incompetent or dishonest, they've picked the wrong model reign to compare against, and then shown the wrong travel and specs for the bike they have chosen.

One thing about the giant, i wouldnt recomend if you are over 100kg for the std model, get the x model, unless they have sorted the travel on the 6 inch for heavier riders (bottoming out too easy). talk to your dealer, and get them to agree to a good price for the new model before it comes, especially if one of them comes with the shadow plus new deraileur, and i'd go double front rather than triple (chain slap is a bitch on the reign)

Thanks for the advice. I will pick up the latest copy of Australian mountain bike and see what they say.
The general opinion seems to be leaning towards the Giant. I think I might wait till the 2013 models coming out in a few weeks, and maybe see how much I can get the 2013 Reign 1 for, if I can get it for a good price it might be the way to go. I do like the idea of a height adjustable post. If not, then I might get the 2013 reign 2. They say the new Giant lineup is due in August, so it's only a few weeks wait.

Also, to clarify, there are no large reigns (reign 1 or reign 2) left in WA at all. We phoned pretty much everywhere and they're all gone, we even tried phoning the factory and they said the last large reign to roll out the factory was in April. I think this was because of the previous year financial crisis, they didn't produce that many in fear that they wont have many sales.

Shoryuken

Likes Dirt
Reign has 6" and the X1 has 6.75" of travel not 5".... wait a second.... None of the Reigns Spec actually match the Reigns or the Reign Xs.
The fact that website misleads you so much so they can sell that bike is stupid. Id email them and put them on the spot.

The Poly is also last years model. The Talas it has does not look like any current one. Maybe a 2010?
And the Talas R is the simple version, with just travel adjust, rebound and air pressure. So its not that great.

The Reigns are amazing bikes. I own a X1 and use it as a FR bike and even all day XC.
I have also rode my friends Reigns and they are weapons when it comes to AM/ XC aggressive riding.
The suspension on the frames works excellent.
Also they are pretty light. I have no idea the weight of the Poly.

The only negative thing i can say about the normal Reigns is the press fit BB and no ISG tabs. (im not 100% if the 2012s have)
This makes it impossible to fit a chain guide via tabs or between a normal BB and the frame.
A few companies have released guides that sit on your chain stay or attach to where your front mech is.

My 2cents ;D

Last edited:

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The Polygon bikes are really nice. I'd lean that way.

I've had a play on their DJ bike (amazing spec, and nice geo) and their freeride bike (also amazing spec and nice geo).

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I wonder if any of the above posters have actually ridden the polygon ?

For the price, you cant really go wrong.

The suspension is very similar to the Maestro.

I bought one recently and am very impressed with the bike. It climbs well, and descends well. While I havent weighed it, it does feel about the same weight as my 07 S Works Enduro with almost exactly the same parts on it..

I would put it out there that the majority of riders could not tell the difference between the 2 if ridden back to back. Very underrated bike...

MBPL

Banned
Amb

Lots of gigantic opinions here. Try before buy and sort fact from fiction like the above.

The latest AMB does not test these bikes. In the May issue a Polygon is tested BUT it is not the Polygon Collosus AX 3.0 it is the Colosus TX 2.0. Yes the Giant Reign 1 is tested.
Lotsa half truths and miss quoted facts get on to most forums - personal opinions are a fantastic source of discussion and info - it is important to always remember that they are personal and are made up of the whole of life experiences of THAT person. (and finances of that person).
Ride em and make your own decision.

Interested to read via one of the posted links that Polygon is the world's 5th largest frame producer. Whilst volume is hardly a measure of quality, it does suggest they deserve to be taken seriously.

As a newb on the verge of a purchase, I'll be checking them out. Seems to be a very good value proposition given the included kit. So much so that, as someone suggested, if you don't like the frame, swap it out later and you're still ahead!

Rabble bukes

Likes Dirt
I have that same polygon. For $2000 its a good deal.

Giant you get a lifetime frame warranty (from what i read in this thread), its a well established brand, they're known good value. But the components aren't as good as the polygon.

Polygon only has a 5 year warranty. Not a lot known about them, although supposedly it is the inhouse brand of the factory that does scott and kona. Components a lot better. But it is a 2011. You could get a 2013 giant, 2013 components.

Either way i think you'll be happy,though it looks like the polygon is unavailable in large atm, so that might make an easier decision.

Last edited:

SOTTA

Likes Dirt
I'm sure i've heard along the way that Giant consider the lifetime of a bike to be five years. Anyone feel free to confirm or reject this. That said, I would probably still go the Giant, at worst the warranty is just as good, you will have a local dealer ,if they are crap you can drive down the road to the second most local dealer and you know exactly what you are getting.

normdouglas

Likes Dirt
Yes I'm biased... but I just love my Reign.
I'm lucky enough to be able to ride a top end Anthem, top end Trance, Anthem 29er and the Reign... the Reign is often the one I reach for.

Just recently I also started racing DH and with the dropper seat post the beefy tyres I know it's all I'll need.

Go the Reign.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Interested to read via one of the posted links that Polygon is the world's 5th largest frame producer. Whilst volume is hardly a measure of quality, it does suggest they deserve to be taken seriously.

As a newb on the verge of a purchase, I'll be checking them out. Seems to be a very good value proposition given the included kit. So much so that, as someone suggested, if you don't like the frame, swap it out later and you're still ahead!
Given the proportion of the market dominated by the two largest manufacturers, fifth largest may not be all that big in absolute terms.

MBPL

Banned
fifth

Given the proportion of the market dominated by the two largest manufacturers, fifth largest may not be all that big in absolute terms.
I would like a dollar for every bike that fifth biggest bike manufacturer makes / sells. Surely they sell more bikes than I have in my garage?
Is quality or desirability of the product related to how many people buy it? Ferrari, Porsche don't rate as 5th biggest car manufacturers but seem to have a desirable sought after product. Don't forget marketing that creates desirability, image and prestige.
Also consider what people who praise a brand pay for their bikes. I pay for what I buy - I am not sponsored or connected to any brand posting here as part of what is expected of a return to a discounted price.
Demand versus supply determine price however many extraneous factors affect both demand and supply - it is these factors that are in contention.

Last edited:

miko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As a Reign rider, I would lean toward that. Wait until 2013, the 2012 models don't have chain guide tabs which is a REALLY big pain in the arse if you ever want to mount a guide.

I'd be factoring in warranty too. I've warrantied a 2009 and 2010 main triangle (they have since fixed that problem) and now have a 2011 which has been solid. I warrantied the frame at two different shops and it was carried out no questions asked. At the last warranty they told me if I have further problems just come back and they'll do it again. And there are many shops where you can get this done with Giant, which wouldn't be the case with a more obscure brand.

For me, that means a lot more time on the bike, especially if you tend to break things :)

BicyclesOnline

Supporter
Hi Folks,

Im one of the owners here at Bicycles Online and thought Id just drop a line to correct a couple of things. Firstly, the bike specs mentioned - whilst the bike is comparable to a Reign, we had accidentally used the Trance specs from previous comparison and not updated the table - our apologies.

Whilst have sold out of the 2011 in Medium and Large, we will have a couple of smalls arriving early next month. 2012 bikes are coming in too, as well as some clearance 2010 models.

Cheers

James.
Bicycles Online