Should I put a Shim in my frame?

tim3638

Smith of hammers curious
I have the less common 34.9mm seat post tube size on my dual suspension aluminum 130mm bike. I would like to move into modern times and try a dropper post. Should I find a dropper that is available in 34.9 or get one that is 31.6 and run a shim? Do shims really damage frames?

Thanks all for your help.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I have the less common 34.9mm seat post tube size on my dual suspension aluminum 130mm bike. I would like to move into modern times and try a dropper post. Should I find a dropper that is available in 34.9 or get one that is 31.6 and run a shim? Do shims really damage frames?

No. Put a shim in or find a 34.9mm post.
Either way.... life will be better.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt

I’m guessing you have a Specialized given the seatpost size. They make a 34.9 dropper post. Other wise there’s no issue with running a shim.

Specialized released 34.9 seatpost bikes in 2017, and they came stock with a shim and 31.6 seatpost, before they released a 34.9 dropper in 2018.

Do everyone a favour and get something else though and don’t support Specialized’s own-brand sizing fuckwittery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tim3638

Smith of hammers curious
Thanks for the reply Smitho, actually it is a GT. Was thinking Rockshox or x fusion. Preferably something cheap and efficient!

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply Smitho, actually it is a GT. Was thinking Rockshox or x fusion. Preferably something cheap and efficient!
Rockshox are utter shite.
Not had an xfusion dropper, but like the Vengeance fork I once had.

I've recently put a OneUp dropper on my bike, and gotta say (after initial friction that was sorted with some lubing of the bushing) it's been awesome.

$260 plus some coin for a decent lever and you're good to go.

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rockshox are utter shite.
Not had an xfusion dropper, but like the Vengeance fork I once had.

I've recently put a OneUp dropper on my bike, and gotta say (after initial friction that was sorted with some lubing of the bushing) it's been awesome.

$260 plus some coin for a decent lever and you're good to go.

Also running the OneUp, and super happy with it. Has one of the shortest insert lengths, which means can run max drop.

Tim_the_Clyde

Likes Dirt
+1 for one up....rockshox was a pain to maintain, more expensive and I didn’t rate the standard lever.