Show us your home working setup

mitchy_

Llama calmer
I am a Design Engineer by trade, and use Solidworks all day long. I run a (now couple of year old) Dell Precision M6500 laptop (8gb Ram. Quadro FX3800 graphics etc etc), and that runs 1920x1200 with no issues. I do have an extra screen aswell but dont bother using it anymore. I just switch windows. The newer version, the m6600 is even better. Having said that both are/were significantly more than 3K I believe.

I personally wouldn't want to use a desktop machine anymore... although I can see some advantages with them, data security that Clint mentioned being one, mind you unless you are running software to stop usb attachments (as an example) its really a mute point if they have an external harddrive!, there are plenty of advantages with laptops aswell.
the M6600 is 1920x1080 :( (not to mention, the dell website says it's discontinued, along with the M6500 too?)
it's minor, but the extra 120 pixels in height fits the toolbars in ArchiCAD perfectly, otherwise they all bunch up and it does slow things down a bit having to scroll through each of the toolbars.

Psimpson7

Likes Dirt
the M6600 is 1920x1080 :( (not to mention, the dell website says it's discontinued, along with the M6500 too?)
it's minor, but the extra 120 pixels in height fits the toolbars in ArchiCAD perfectly, otherwise they all bunch up and it does slow things down a bit having to scroll through each of the toolbars.
My 6500 is def 1920*1200. I have it in front of me and just checked!

The new one is actually the m6700 sorry! but you are right that is 1920*1080

Strange that they dropped it...

mitchy_

Llama calmer
My 6500 is def 1920*1200. I have it in front of me and just checked!

The new one is actually the m6700 sorry! but you are right that is 1920*1080

Strange that they dropped it...
i dont doubt you! having had a few dell's before, that was the first place i looked, but alas they dropped it for the 1920x1080 m6600 when i was looking.

there are some 6500's on ebay for ~$1000-1500, but i'm just a little dubious on them. if i could purchase one new, or at least from a reputable place i'd be inclined to pick one up.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
cool! I'd be interested to know how the raid setup goes. I've started a fresh so i don't have enough material clogging my system at the moment, but will do soon. How fast is read write between SSD and r10?
SSD

RAID

Last edited:

mr_casual

Likes Dirt
I used to own a m4300 precision and it weighed a metric sh*t load only got it for the 1920x1200 screen when everything else was 1440x900.

Even though it cost like $3K it basically had a life at my desk, and was rarely undocked from the dell docker thingy. If you're doing mobile work then that's fine, I just don't see many field based uses when it's purely necessary to be processing large amounts of information whilst mobile, and you only have a shitty 17" screen out of it. The new precision has an optional rgb tuned screen as an optional $900 or something absurd, that's literally more expensive than buying a u27"! If it's about time efficiency I'd hand it to a big res screen and a big old cpu every time.

You could literally spend $10K on a dell laptop that'll get demolished by a sub $2K gaming rig (without screen), and it'll probably do it making less fan noise too!

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt

My study/play/beer/bikeworkshop room.
Gave it a bit of a clean today, but it's usually pretty messy.

Forgot to mention: Ageing ASUS M50VC Laptop.
2GB RAM
Intel P8400 @ 2.26ghz
Nvidia Geforce 9300M 512mb
Upgraded to Win7.

Also got a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 for all my lectures/pracs/workshops etc.

Last edited:

chinski

Likes Bikes
This is my office ( & also outside in the Engine Room ), its the Engine Control Room on a 50 metre, 5000 HorsePower Ocean Going Tug, you can see the engines / machinery space outside the Control Room windows, Laptop is an ancient Lenovo running XP but does what we need it to, we even have internet down there so can surf rotorburn on watch haha !!

Last edited:

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Do the 4k tests, they are FAR more important. A SSD should be ~60x better than the mechanical drive at 4k speeds.. Not sure about raid0..
re did it and you're right... SSD was about 35-40x faster in 4k than the raid10 array. raid10 is is a bit slower than raid0 as it obviously has to mirror everything too.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mine just looks the same as everyone elses lol.
Computer, internet phone and a small wireless lazer printer.
Set up in the back of the house to try and avoid the two kids home schooling.