Shuttle car of the century

re: toorak tractors

there are actually places (and i'm not takin the piss) in suburbs like kew, etc. where u can drive in and have FAKE MUD sprayed on so it looks like u've taken the thing offroad!!!!!!

and what's this shite about soccer mums??? there's a soccer pitch right next to my house and i've never seen one.........more like private school mums!!!!

Konaman

Likes Dirt
I gotto a private school and my mum dont drive a richass 4x4 :wink:
Theres a nice volkswagon 4x4 out v10 diesel i think should me more powerful then that patrol nissan brags about.

Fritta

Likes Dirt
i went out one day far away :D and i saw all these hottede up humvees with shweet paint jobs and things like that. damn they were massive huge beasts. they also had traliers hitched on tha back of the hummers and there were hotted up sand dune buggies. :shock: phew too much exitement in one day :lol:

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
soccer moms started out as a US thing.
soccer was/is the fastest growing womens sport in the US, as well as now having the highest average tax bracket of amatuer players. basicly guys were playing soccer instead of tennis and squash, and girls as well. it was becoming a very yuppie/prepie thing to play. if you wanted to be part of the next "tennis" social scene, soccer was for you. it was noticed that a very large number of the yuppie moms driving their kids and theirselves to practice were driving SUV's. it became a bigger status symboll to have a merc 4WD than a BMW sports car. and so the soccer mom was born. rich, yuppie, useless, consumer whores, who's only real concern was how it looked, not what it did.
and the car industry responded by making womens specific models of some of their large 4WD wagons. if anyone has seen the episode of the simpsons where marge ends up with the canyonaro 4WD, that was supposedly written in responce to one of the writers getting run off the road by a chevy suburban driven by mom and some kids going to practice. the suburbans come with retractable steps so you can get in, special dash pockets for "make up and accessories" and " an attractive range of colors designed for todays woman".
that doesn't mean you don't see them at hockey, but as the t-shirt says "my hockey mom could beat up your soccer mom"

*edit* as a biker, i hate those things even more than volvo's. the most dangerous thing on the road today is some mom outside the school looking at the kids in the back and yelling at them to sit down and shut up, all while driving in 2 lanes at 60kph. i'd rather wrestle crack crazed aligators

Konaman said:
I gotto a private school and my mum dont drive a richass 4x4 :wink:
Theres a nice volkswagon 4x4 out v10 diesel i think should me more powerful then that patrol nissan brags about.
i'm not saying that all private school mums are like that......hell i go to a private school and my mum doesn't drive one either..BUT...there are sure as hell more 4x4s than any other vehicles picking up kids after school!!!!

and yeah nissan might have been talking to weight.....coz a 10 cylinder truck is gonna weigh a SHITE load more than a 6 cylinder.......
but then again it might be because that truck is not in the same category as the nissans.....coz they do say "in its class".what that means however....

wombat

Lives in a hole
Socket said:
zen_rider said:
they should be banned IMHO
So should mountain bikes. :roll:

I will personally groin-kick the next person within range who says that anything should be banned (that isn't already). People like that are the same as the people who say "mountain bikes should be banned because they destroy the environment". Banning shit is a good way to destroy our lifestyles; fireworks are banned now, burning leaves in the gutter is banned, riding your bike without a helmet is banned (as dumb as it is, it's your choice really), and a whole lot of other stuff that just makes life a little bit easier/more fun is now illegal, thanks to overzealous morons who think that restricting everyone and everything will make the world a better place.
You're treading a fine line there Steve. I agree with you, to a point. I don't think we should ban 4WDs, as they are very useful vehicles but I do strongly believe that the laws regarding them need to be changed.

People who want to drive big 4WD's (landcruisers etc. not subaru wagons) should need to obtain a special 4WD license, maybe something similar to an LR license. As much as these things have been engineered to feel like cars, when the shit hits the fan they will not respond like a car, and they will make a damnside more mess when they run into a smaller vehicle. I've got some other ideas but I'll leave it here for now.

Oh, and fireworks aren't banned, you just need a license to use them; and don't get me started on burning shit.....

wombat

Lives in a hole
lupine128 said:
that was kinda the point.
it was an ex race bike that still had a compliance plate on the frame.
we just had to do it and stick it back on the road :twisted:
was way uber fun till we blew the motor sky high.
pretty much any modern sport bike has insane power to weight tho.
makes even the really hotted up cars look pretty frail by comparison.
but it's kinda hard to carry a cpl of freinds and some DH bikes around
Just out of curiosity, if this thing was putting out 165kW at the wheel, what was it getting at the crank? I know there isn't half as much drivetrain lossin bikes as in cars, but it still must be noticeable.

Simo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i agree with the tighter issues, not only do we have yuppies driving BMW 4x4's but we have the beefy ones with bullbars that could ram the shit outta a bridge supporting pillar driving around aswel.

I go to a private school and my mum has achrysler voayger, however, she is also a horticultralist (plant person) who needs it to transport wheelbarrows, plants yadda yadda.

bazza

look at me
I WANT SOME CRACK CRAZED ALLIGATORS DAMN IT!!! yer 4wds are the devil.....they should start advertizing about the hazards of them and make them seem 'unhip' for those yuppies, ahhh what about all the old farts and there caravans, omg soooo many big ass 4wd towing the big ass caravans, these arent any old 4wds either these are top of the line, over the caravan season up here i have seen on the news a minimum of 10 rolled!!! and this is just for this region.

Rik

logged out
Socket said:
I will personally groin-kick the next person
I dare ya...
4wds should be restricted, not banned. (in fact, a few of those examples you posted are actually restricted, not outright banned).
I agree with Wombat, we really need a licensing restructure to account for 4wds.
Right now, they're exempt from alot of vehicle taxes because they're considered as tools of business (or something along those lines). I can't imagine a farmer going out and buying a leather trimmed interior Range Rover for carting shit around in, so why should that car be exempt from luxury vehicle tax?

Just like bicycles shouldn't be on busy arterial roads, 4wd's shouldn't be prevalent in inner city environments. People buy them as a protective cage, the bigger car gives them confidence to take on city driving, but fuck that, the monster vehicles shouldn't be let anywhere near suburbia.

matty_2004

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The turning circle on hummers is absolutely massive... they'd only be good in the desert where you cant crash into anything :p however, if you did crash into a tree or something.. the hummer would come out on top :D

toodles

Wheel size expert
I drove a Hummer in Cape York (commercial version with 6.8L diesel engine) and it was absolutely crazy. Problem being - every track you will find cut in Australia has been made by Landcruisers, Pajeros or Patrols so the thing would track right and couldn't make many of the gaps in the trail. But it did a fine job of pushing over trees and the occasional big rock/termite mound/garden shed. Oh and the turning circle was crap - 15 point turns on some tracks.

Socket - feel much the same way about things being banned. Too much stuff is banned by people who are frightened to do/try/see somethig so obviously no-one should be allowed to do those things. Don't get me started on censorship...