Sick of getting my legs scratched/chewed up when biking

nixp85

Cannon Fodder
vitamin e

skins or any 3/4 knicks work they generally breath alot i find netti have ones that are like webbed so they breath really well not great for epic rides cause the padding isnt great thought...if you dont want to try clip ins if u get cut once its just starting to heal start applying vitamin e to it every day, or paw paw ointment its awesome to...prevents the scar problem....

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
Knee high socks are a fun a way of protecting your legs a little. I've got some cool pairs like ones with bikes on and it just stops those scratches but they aren't too hot. Wish I had been wearing them sunday - now I've got gravel graze all down my lower leg and it while I'm not fussed about how it look - it damn well hurts!

epicride

Cannon Fodder
paw paw

Heya heres some healing tips girls...

My legs got pretty scratched up when I rode alot a few years ago, before I moved to flat country...and I have a few scars to show for it.

The best thing you can use -after the red blood goey stage, during healing, is... EMU oil.. it heals and prevents scars.

This stuff is a miracle healer, has helped me so much I just wish I discovered it sooner.

Also dont get the scratches on your legs exposed to sunlight during healing, this causes discolouration and makes scars look alot worse.

Cheers

Trying to completely avoid any scratches while mountain biking is impossible, but there are a few things you can try.

For deep gouges from running flat pedals and slipping off the pedal then the only thing to protect your shins is going to be body armour, I use Dainese shin pad protectors for any DH or riding. I use clip ins for all my riding, so really the Dainese is for protection from rocks etc but on odd occasion I've run flats and slipped a pedal I have been so glad to gouge the hard plastic instead of flesh.

If it is basic superficial scratches then wearing longer socks and longer shorts can help minimise the areas of skin exposed. For super narrow trails on XC rides I often wear 3/4 knicks to minimise skin exposure. Having moisturised legs will save you a tiny tiny bit, it can help the sticks glide over the skin a little more, but more so it helps the skin heal faster for small abrasions.

When I do get cuts or scratches I use Lucas Paw Paw cream or Soldiers Friend to keep the area moist and clean to heal. I also try protect it from the sun so it is less likely to scar. Hope any of this helps. Ciao

Shin armour

Whatever you do, don't ride with clips (the "cage" for your foot)! Very dangerous.

After getting some nasty deep pedal bites, I now always ride with shin armour. I ride flats mostly for safety reasons. I think the wrap style are probably a bit hot for Sydney or north, or summers down south. Dainese are great.

I run POC full knee/shin for DH (super hot though) and Fox DH type for free-ride.

This is what happened to my husband from a simple "over-the-hangers" crash. He caught his leg on the shifter. He is now in the market for some shin pads.DSC00744.jpgDSC00744.jpg

Bjorn

Likes Dirt
+1 for Paw paw cream.
If you want to use skins, but shudder at the thought of paying $100+ to replace them after a fall, go to Big W and get the Slazenger BioSylx for <$40.
Definitely invest in shinguards if you are going to use spiked flats. The last thing you want is a screw punching trail debris into your shin bone. Mmmm, bone infection.