Silly long rides...

fezi

Likes Dirt
This is my silly long ride for tommorow if it stops raining. With a lap of each XC track it works out around 140k. Maybe I should add gears cause there's some silly long climbs on this route especially straight off the awaba course.

jakecycles

Likes Bikes
There's a few ideas on the audax site. I know a few people who have done the 200 km Alpine Classic. See also the Fleche Opperman all day event where you try to go as far as possible in 24 hours and still end up at and agreed finishing point. I'm amazed that some guys managed 770 km back in 1993![/QUOTE]

Had a serious tilt at trying to match that effort in 1995, those guys rode from Mildura to Albury in skinsuits. No tri bars allowed. I think at the time it was a unoffical world record. For the life of me I do not know how they willed themselves to finish it, Mark Hastie was a beast of a rider.

Our effort was finished at 615 km in 22 hours, it was max of 5 riders, 3 had to finish and the ride had to be unsupported ie. no following car/campervan. Our route was from Rochester ( birthplace of Oppy ) to Whycheproof, and then back to Albury, via Kerang, Echuca, Yarrawonga and Rutherglen. I remember a hot northerly wind, 30's plus temps and a average speed of about 33 km per hour. We had six minute rest for water and food every 100km. To top it off, we rode through the night, our lights were Cateye Halogen 2.5 w battery shitters. Too this day the very thought of that ride and the pain, still makes me feel sick. It took several days before I could stand up straight and walk properly.

These days I would say that was stupidly long
jake

DaGonz

Eats Squid
WOW, If you ever decide to go, I would love to come along.. Need a few longer rides for the worlds.
Well... lets book it in otherwise it won't happen. Last weekend of May? There's a hole in the racing calander ;)

If we can string a few guys together, might be able to organise a car with gear etc... and or a van to bring us all back again. Alternatively, I have another route:

down through sutherland, Nasho, Gong, Macq pass, KV, Berry, shoalhaven, Jamberoo pass, down macq pass, Gong, Sutherland, home...

it's a high 200's nearly 300 ride from memory on when I mapped it out. I'm thinking of doing the loop part from Albion Park on the march 12/13 weekend maybe for a more reasonable 100miler...

Cheers
Spoooonie

jeffandal

Likes Dirt
Hey Spooney,
Count me in for either of those dates.
Would be great to hammer out some k's with some likeminded company.

seanb888

Likes Bikes
Well... lets book it in otherwise it won't happen. Last weekend of May? There's a hole in the racing calander ;)

If we can string a few guys together, might be able to organise a car with gear etc... and or a van to bring us all back again. Alternatively, I have another route:

down through sutherland, Nasho, Gong, Macq pass, KV, Berry, shoalhaven, Jamberoo pass, down macq pass, Gong, Sutherland, home...

it's a high 200's nearly 300 ride from memory on when I mapped it out. I'm thinking of doing the loop part from Albion Park on the march 12/13 weekend maybe for a more reasonable 100miler...

Cheers
Spoooonie
Sorry , been very busy and have not had a look at this

I will be there (where ever we decide that is) for both of those dates. March ride will be a good hit out before the Port Maq 12h. Sundays are best as my wife works saturdays but i can always sort something out if i have to.

Cheers Sean

DaGonz

Eats Squid
Any updates spoonie?:rolleyes:
yeah.. whaddayareckon? I was looking at the loop again the other day. The big problem is there's ~4km's of highway up to kiama I can't get around. Street view on google would suggest there's a shoulder but it's not very wide in parts with cars going by at 80-100k's. I havn't sussed out the parking at albion park bit yet either but I'm sure there's a side street or shopping centre we could park at...

it'll mean 4hrs of driving and a 6 or 7 hour ride for me. probably not the smartest ride for me to be donig right now but what the heck... alternatively I'd have to fix my mountain bike and go do ingar/andos' repeats.

Not sure I have your email Jeff but I'll suss out with some of the other boys today (like Pdogg, fatnold etc...) and see if we can get a mutual interest possie...

I'd say pace would be "moving but relatively friendly". I'd be keen to get it out of the way rather than being there all night, probably 8am at Albion park, plan for 6ish hours. Maybe lunch at robertson before heading down Macq pass... There's a bailout point in that we don't have to do Jamberoo pass at the end which would chop 30 or so k's off I think and about 800m's of climbing.

I'll look at the route again today to see if there's a variation on the option that would involve less driving and/or something else. Another option would be start at sutho dog sheds, do the coast road, Macq pass, down jamberoo (this option scares me a little) back into 'gong, back up bulli pass, back to sutho. not sure the distance on that (probably a similar 160-180k's) but means a lot less driving and more riding

...watch this space I guess.

Cheers
Spoonie

seanb888

Likes Bikes
Hi guys
Just got a spot for the Mont, so have to bail on this one to spend some time with the kids before I am away for 2 weekends. Shame, would have been a great social ride. Hope you get the numbers.
Cheers Sean

DaGonz

Eats Squid
Hey Spooney,
Count me in for either of those dates.
Would be great to hammer out some k's with some likeminded company.
And so we did:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/26822221

Not really Silly long, but happy to declare somewhat silly given the climbs. 7hr ride time.

Not sure about linking up from berry to kiama. the road was pretty dead and unfriendly and I'm not sure the options are much better. pretty tops ride though all in all. My First time up Jamberoo was a bit of an eye opener :)

Cheers
Spoonie

DaGonz

Eats Squid
So I woke up on Saturday and decided to go for a ride:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/85615366

and now have a variation on a theme I think could be fun

http://www.bikemap.net/route/972408

I need to get my fitness up a bit though I think. Also plotting a route to Canberra via KV and Nowra I'd like to give a crack later in the year. We shall see!! I do think I need to revisit my road bike setup and get some stronger wheels if I'm going to start going longer. I can fit 28's in apparantly too, but not sure how much of an effect they really make if you still pump to 100psi.

Cheers
Spoonie

bear the bear

Is a real bear
S I do think I need to revisit my road bike setup and get some stronger wheels if I'm going to start going longer. I can fit 28's in apparantly too, but not sure how much of an effect they really make if you still pump to 100psi.

Cheers
Spoonie
You don't. Anything over a 23mm you run softer... 28mm I'd only be looking at 80-85psi (weight dependent) mmmm bliss

struggles

Likes Dirt
I would be happy if my fitness was at that level. I did a Nowra-Berry-KV-Nowra loop the other week and only averaged 17.5km/h.

When my fitness gets up I am looking at doing Nowra-Araluen-Moryua-Nowra on a weekend. I will take my CX bike and use some dirt roads to make the Nowra to Araluen part shorter.

prklcd

Likes Dirt

I need to get my fitness up a bit though I think. Also plotting a route to Canberra via KV and Nowra I'd like to give a crack later in the year. We shall see!! I do think I need to revisit my road bike setup and get some stronger wheels if I'm going to start going longer. I can fit 28's in apparantly too, but not sure how much of an effect they really make if you still pump to 100psi.

Cheers
Spoonie
That looks like a great ride!

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Cheers
Spoonie
was that solo? How do you support yourself on these sily long rides? I'm looking at doing Sydney (well, Killara 2071 at least) to blackheath and back in a day

Basically this: http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/18019220 starting from the 15km mark and doing it in reverse to get home. Will be 270km in a day, will come out at 2500m climbed+descended

Longest I've ever done on road is 75km, but I have a few Solo24s under my belt so am not worried about the distance... its having enough food and drink that is concerning me.

Delmar

Likes Dirt
I would be happy if my fitness was at that level. I did a Nowra-Berry-KV-Nowra loop the other week and only averaged 17.5km/h.

When my fitness gets up I am looking at doing Nowra-Araluen-Moryua-Nowra on a weekend. I will take my CX bike and use some dirt roads to make the Nowra to Araluen part shorter.
Hey struggles, I presume you did that on the cx bike? How did you get across shoalhaven heads to comerong- just walk along the beach or is there a track there or something?

struggles

Likes Dirt
There is a track you can follow that skirts around the water and has a bit of Singletrack.

Just make sure you catch the ferry operator on a good day, or you will be waiting forever for a lift.

Last edited:

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
Longest I've ever done on road is 75km, but I have a few Solo24s under my belt so am not worried about the distance... its having enough food and drink that is concerning me.
You'll be fine - big kms on the road is pretty easy compared to the MTB and theres generally heaps of places to get food (service stations)! I just fill my pockets with packet type food like I would for a 24 before heading out and take a couple of bottles... there's usually plenty of places to fill up on all but the most remote rides...

Check out this - 320km in 10hrs or so... coming from a 24 solo background you'll be amazed at just how far you can go on a roadie in much less time :)