Single Speed Crank question

Refreshinglygood

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi Kids. I've managed to snap the axle of 2 sets of XT external BB cranks. I'm wondering what you 29er ssers are running.

I'm thinking of going to an isis style BB set up.

What say you SSers???

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My choice would be for Sram S1400 (X7 with 2 chainrings) cranks with a removable spider and then get a spiderless chainring from Homebrewed in the states.

I am currently running SLX's with Enduro bearings myself, and they are mega tough and light too, but I want the simplicity of spiderless next time.

Oh, and how the hell are you breaking spindles? Many drops to flat?

Refreshinglygood

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Didn't have SLX on the list. I'll look into that.

Not keen on the spiderless option, My chanrings need more support.

No drops to flat, infact very few drops at all. i just fatigued the parts till they broke. been a strictly ss rider now for 4 or so years. SSing is hard on the parts.

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Didn't have SLX on the list. I'll look into that.

Not keen on the spiderless option, My chanrings need more support.

No drops to flat, infact very few drops at all. i just fatigued the parts till they broke. been a strictly ss rider now for 4 or so years. SSing is hard on the parts.
Indeed it is hard on the parts, and makes you do real research when it comes time to replace them. I've slowly upgraded everything on my Unit to more robust stuff over the last 2 years or so.

Homebrewed make Ti spiderless chainrings too.

Jim, White Industries are the biz.

Macr

Likes Dirt
I am trialling 180mm Truvativ Stylo 1.1 on SRAM ceramic black box BB. I am hoping it can survive my weight.

Refreshinglygood

Likes Bikes and Dirt
the hooka's are on the list, along with the Hussfelt's, gravity (chainreaction) and the saints I'm pretty much going to go with a DH FR crank i think.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
ISIS setup will not be stronger, and the bearings wear faster.

- Joel
I have a SKF BXC-600 ISIS bottom bracket and they have a 10 year guarantee, they run on roller bearings and are probably the strongest BB out there. I was fed up replacing what i thought were good ISIS BB's and the SKF doesnt actually cost much more, you can grab one for around $120 from the US with our awesome exchange rate.

Also use Middleburn cranks and i have just ordered a chainring from HomeBrew Components , he makes a Ti or Alu spiderless ring for middleburns.... actually he makes lots of really nice SS goodies.

The alu ones come in loads of different colours too...

432_image.jpg

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
I have a SKF BXC-600 ISIS bottom bracket and they have a 10 year guarantee, they run on roller bearings and are probably the strongest BB out there. I was fed up replacing what i thought were good ISIS BB's and the SKF doesnt actually cost much more, you can grab one for around $120 from the US with our awesome exchange rate.

Also use Middleburn cranks and i have just ordered a chainring from HomeBrew Components , he makes a Ti or Alu spiderless ring for middleburns.... actually he makes lots of really nice SS goodies.

The alu ones come in loads of different colours too...

View attachment 208471
The SKF seems to be an exception depending on who you talk to, generally speaking though the bearings in ISIS BBs aren't big enough to give good longevity. If only they came in a 108mm!

- Joel

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Definately agree ! It seems like a decent buy, but when you consider the cost of $60-$80 BB's every 6-12 months... its an absolute steal.

10 year warranty is awesome. Im 18 months in and no probs.

big gags

Likes Bikes
I run 180mm Truvativ Stylo 1.1 cranks on my rigid SS Inbred and at about 103 kg I have not managed to break them yet. I was previously running the same set of cranks on my 26" Surly 1x1 and I have been really happy with how they have stood up to hard use. I generally ride out Smiths Gully way and I spend plenty of time out of the saddle grinding up pinch climbs and although I have managed to stretch a couple of KMC chains, I haven't managed to break the Stylo cranks yet!!

Gags