sizing of 29ers

kiwiinmelb

Likes Dirt
Sorry if this question has already been done to death, I am fairly new to the sport,

Just a general question, in relation to the theory you hear in conversation over and over re- 29ers,

'When you get a 29er you go down a size' I hear that all the time,

while i understand why in as far as being able to handle a bike that is generally bigger than the same size in a 26er,

What does the rider do for comfort in a frame that is smaller that he may be used to, learn to ride in a more upright position ?

Am I missing something?

Cheers

disappearin

Likes Dirt
I actually went up a size (L to XL) when I went from a 26er to a 29er. I had the benefit of test riding the bike I intended to buy in the two sizes and found the bigger frame a lot better suited to what I wanted.
I've seen some ridiculous stem setups on 29ers from people trying to find a good setup.

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I actually went up a size (L to XL) when I went from a 26er to a 29er. I had the benefit of test riding the bike I intended to buy in the two sizes and found the bigger frame a lot better suited to what I wanted.
I've seen some ridiculous stem setups on 29ers from people trying to find a good setup.
+1. I went up a size when I got my clown wheels and after 2 years I have no regrets. Test and get what feels best regardless of size.

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Why would you size down or up?
The absolute most important fitting is the ETT.
The ETT does not change dependent upon wheel size.

disappearin

Likes Dirt
Why would you size down or up?
The absolute most important fitting is the ETT.
The ETT does not change dependent upon wheel size.
This is true but different brands/models can have different ETT measurements even though they are the same size hence the reason I went from a L in one brand to an XL in the other. It pays to check.

eyes

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This is true but different brands/models can have different ETT measurements even though they are the same size hence the reason I went from a L in one brand to an XL in the other. It pays to check.
I think that is Smudgies point - don't look at size - look at ETT. The fact is, stays are similar length regardless of size, seat's can be dropped/raised but the most fixed is ETT. You can manipulate your riding position with seat set back, and if necessary, seat post set back and also stem length and bar width sweep. But at the end of the day, there is no tangible relationship between bike size and wheel size. Test ride is the key, and pay for a bike fit if you don't feel confident...

Cam070695

Likes Dirt
Alot of companies have seen this problem occuring and have made some changes to there line.
For example. A bike that says 19" may be an actual 17"
Some display it others dont.
Your best bet is to go in to your local and through your leg over a few sizes and see what you like

MrCove

South Shore Distribution
I think that is Smudgies point - don't look at size - look at ETT. The fact is, stays are similar length regardless of size, seat's can be dropped/raised but the most fixed is ETT. You can manipulate your riding position with seat set back, and if necessary, seat post set back and also stem length and bar width sweep. But at the end of the day, there is no tangible relationship between bike size and wheel size. Test ride is the key, and pay for a bike fit if you don't feel confident...
wot he said, plus

i have 2 29ers in the shed from different brands (neither are mine) one is a 19" seat tube, the other an 18"
the 18" one is about 10mm longer in the top tube (ATT or ETT) 615mm/606mm
the wheelbase on the 18" is a lot longer than on the 19", 1128mm/1079mm
also the 18" one also has shorter chainstays than the 19", 430mm/440mm

and to cap it all, the 19" one has the lowest standover

you can find similar differences between brands and models in bikes of all wheel size

top tube length and wheelbase are what you can't change (actually not strictly true for wheelbase....)

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Correct.
Reading that a seat tube size is 15", 17", 19" or even 25" has very little to do with whether the bike will fit you.
ETT is the measurement to look at first and foremost.
Then look at ST length (mainly so that you are not riding around with a flagpole lebgthed seatpost hanging out of the frame.
Last and most definitely least IMO, look at standover.
If you can standover it (even if the top tube is touching your nuts) that is AOK.

And I know what I want so I never test ride.
For the most part it is a waste of time unless you can do so on trail.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Correct.
Reading that a seat tube size is 15", 17", 19" or even 25" has very little to do with whether the bike will fit you.
ETT is the measurement to look at first and foremost.
Then look at ST length (mainly so that you are not riding around with a flagpole lebgthed seatpost hanging out of the frame.
Last and most definitely least IMO, look at standover.
If you can standover it (even if the top tube is touching your nuts) that is AOK.

And I know what I want so I never test ride.
For the most part it is a waste of time unless you can do so on trail.
Sumgy, is it OK if the top tube is touching my vayjay? :)