Training Log SJP's FTP, slight return

Phil,

I am using zwift on a pc to log the kms (and into strava for total kms for the year) and trainerroad for the training regime on an ipad.

when connecting to zwift you need to change the setting from controllable trainer and I choose a flat course so the elevation isn't too distorted. You set trainer road to ERG mode so your target power doesn't change with your cadence and as such you use your cadence to regulate the intensity within the confines of the power out put.

I chose trainer road because it was cheap option ie $15 a month as opposed to forking out $100 for some other training programme. I thought $15 to see if I liked it / derived a benefit was a fair punt, I've got myself on a really tight budget so this worked. So far its really working for me.

I've recently moved my setup to another room in the house so now I've gone a bit overboard and my training setup looks like this:

Roadie on Kickr snap
HRM
Cadence and speed sensor (built into the bike)
Zwift on PC
Trainer road on Ipad
Foxtel on the telly (I was watching crankworks the other day)
Tunes on a Bluetooth speaker streamed from my phone.

I'm sure I can wrangle something else in there !!!

Screw going outside ever again !!

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm enjoying Zwift more than I thought I would, I'll prob try their workouts before spending more on TrainerRoad et al. A bit irrational as I'd drop way more on bike parts without thinking than useful subscription services. I currently use Zwift for racing only, there's always a few races at a convenient time, for me it's mon, weds and Fri nights, and maybe on the weekend too.

My bike is and old flat bar roadie on elite drivo, parked permanently on the verandah with Supercheap mega fan aimed at it. I've worked on bike fit a little, have adjusted cleats back and gone to 170mm cranks, and gone for a saddle more suited to me (avg cadence now between 86-88, up from mid 70s when I started earlier this year). HRM is good value and some race categories require it, if you race.

Imo you should try one or two before it expires given how fun it is and lack of consequences to partaking. Fluff the start or blow up halfway, no problem. Miss the start, no problem, there's another in 30mins. Kiss americas, evr Asia and wbr are all good racing from my experience.

I'm watching progress here to see if I should actually do some training vs just get race fit, I'm sure there's benefits as I sometimes (many times) miss the break or can't recover enough after a move at the front and lose the main group.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm just doing the free trial on Zwift ATM since I'm new to this whole trainer thing.

Just did my first FTP test (20 min short) and managed to get 220w. Now I just need to figure out wether I use Zwift's programs or trainer roads. (Or both as you pointed out).

I must admit that I never really thought much about trainers. Always used to go out and ride, weather be damned. But I'm getting old and it's cold outside at the moment haha. Since trying a mates setup I was sold and went and bought my own.

Actually makes me want to put a power meter on my bike now, such a better indicator of performance than HR just from using it for a few days.

Week Five:

Tuesday. Carillion. Duration : 60 mins. Objective: muscle endurance. Notes: 4 x 10 mins intervals at FTP 85 to 95% trying to keep cadence above 95 with some 30 second stints at 100. Also included some standing drills.

Saturday. Tallac. Duration: 60 mins. Objective: leg speed and power. Notes: 3 x 12 min intervals 85 to 95 ftp, keeping cadence above 90 closer to 100.

Went for a proper ride on Friday , Thursday was hectic work so didn't get to this one until today. Have Monday off so will do the big one then.

Monday. Palisade. Duration: 90 mins. Objective: increasing FTP. Notes: 5 x 9 min intervals of overs and unders. Each interval was alternating between 1 min @ 95% FTP and 2 mins @ 110% FTP. Last interval I was able to hold around 105 rpm cadence. Pretty happy with that.

Summary: I'm feeling a lot fitter, cadence is up and I guarantee my FTP is up. One more week to go and then into the mtb specific stuff.

Last edited:
Week six

Pettit. Duration: 60 mins. Objective: leg speed endurance. Notes: no intervals in this one, just a low FTP but a high cadence around 95rpm. Heart rate didn't get beyond 126 bpm, spin is noticeably quicker than when I started training.

Friday. Bald Knob. Duration: 60 mins. Same as above

Sunday. Brasstown. Duration: 90 mins. More of the above

Last edited:

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Forgive me for being dense but what are the names of your sessions? Are they local trails or types of sessions?

Also if you're in Sydney I've got a pioneer power meter on a 175 crank you can borrow to confirm power numbers at the end of your regime.

Sent from my SGP311 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Those are the names trainer road gives the sessions, whether they mean anything in cycling I dunno.

Thanks for the offer of the power meter, I figure it's all relevant so I'll just stick to the estimated power. Knowing what the real output is might prove to be a bummer :)

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Thanks for the offer of the power meter, I figure it's all relevant so I'll just stick to the estimated power. Knowing what the real output is might prove to be a bummer :)
You might be pleasently surprised. I'm only doing commuting but trying to do intervals and drills. My peak power is now over 1.1kw and my normalised power is floating around 290w for a hilly 15km ride. Both well up on where I was even 1 month ago. I'm a fat slob so my power to weight is still pathetic.

I got the power meter to help with recovery from a buggered knee and it has been amazing. My big problem was really unbalanced power left/right. Focusing on balancing power has not only made me stronger overall but inproved my pedal stroke technique, I spin much more smoothly and engage the glutes and calves more.

It's not cheap but I can really see the value in a power meter now for training and rehab.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Finale

20 min FTP test: a bit of a warm up, 5 mins flat knacker, bit of a rest then 20 mins flat knacker.

The result: FTP = 190 watts, up 10 watts from 6 weeks ago when I started.

Thanks Phil,

I'm going to start a mountain bike XC specific programme based around Olympic distance, its 8 weeks long. I'll just do the low intensity version so 3 rides a week plus I'll do some real riding on the weekend. I found the programme I just completed found some weaknesses that I gotta solve ie hip stuff, so I think taking on more is gonna end in tears, I can manage with the load I just completed.

That should get me to the fling with some form, well more form than I've ever had.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to enjoying longer sessions on the bike.

We had a fitness test at work the other day, after the 3 minute step test my heart rate was actually lower than when I walked in after a heated phone conversation, 62 to 61.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've been finding some similar form issues since starting on the trainer. Specifically peddling and some knee irritation. Didn't notice that when I'm pushing Watts over my FTP in Vo2 intervals that my peddling form was breaking down. Have been able to correct it on the trainer when I focus on it but I'm guessing out in the real world I'm probably all over the shop and wasting energy.

I kinda want to start doing the base building workouts as it's the logical start point. But it's also just coming into peak riding session and think maybe my efforts will be better spent trying to build my FTP.

Good luck with the new sessions! I've dobbed myself into the VES 3hr in Bendigo tomorrow so hopefully my body holds up

Hi Dan,

Yes it is trainer based, it looks like its more VO2 max work and short bursts of high intensity work than the base build which was like a slow burn.

I will also do a ride on the weekend because its more like real riding and its also a lot more fun.

Haven't started yet, going away for 10 days and the work run into hols has been a nightmare. In reality I wont finish the entire programme but its gotta be better than nothin