Training Log SJP's FTP

Having never used a training plan before and realising that intermittent riding on the weekend isn't getting me any fitter I've kicked off a training plan from strava. Its roadie based so I will need to amend it to add some mountain biking to it.

Its less than ideal but better than nothing. Given my time constraints due to work, kids, study etc etc etc I'm just gonna do the best I can. I only have a HRM so the best I can do is target the zones that they suggest and try and estimate cadence.

The objective is to ride the half fling well, aiming for sub 4hr. I have no idea if this is a reasonable goal.

This will be a weekly updated thing and I'm hoping that posting this stuff may keep me motivated and honest.

Happy to receive comments along the way, positive and negative as I'm well aware of my limitations. FWIW I'm closer to 50 that 45 years, 5'11 and 80kgs at the start of this thing.

Week One

So week one has been run and won.

Monday - rest day (gotta love a training programme that starts with a rest day !!!)

Tuesday - was sposed to ride but no sleep and the remnants of the lurgy kept me in bed till the alarm went off for work

Wednesday - On the roadie for 90 mins at dawn, just getting some miles into the legs

Thursday - supposed to be a rest day but day off and awesome weather lured me onto the mountain bike to explore around some new tracks, just took it easy for an hour listening to my legs.

Friday - another day off and headed to Parramatta park for 90 mins of laps on the roadie with 4 X 8mins Steady State intervals. I'm new to intervals and had no display on my phone showing HR so was a bit hit and miss.

Saturday - 2 hrs roadie, mostly endurance and tempo stuff

Sunday - Fathers Day - no ride.

Summary - gonna have to space the riding out, legs weren't happy on Saturday. Need to sort out my HRM so I can do the intervals properly. 125kms for the week. Need to incorporate mountain biking on the weekend, either swap out a session or add anothery.

Week 2

It's only week 2, yikes !!!!

Monday - vive la rest day

Tuesday - 90 mins including 4 x 10 min steady state intervals, 5 mins rest. Ouchy mama, first interval was tough but the rest not so bad

Wednesday - bludge

Thursday - endurance miles and tempo, I like these, I'm probably not working hard enough.

Friday - lunch and beer day !!!

Saturday - 2 1/2 hrs endurance. Killed me, bit off a big hill.

Sunday - a lap of Awaba, tired legs but maybe I'm feeling the endurance kick in?

Summary - 125km, 6 hrs 18 mins, 1,773 m of climb. Doubting my ability to keep this up.