Skewing the olive

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
What the fuck am I doing wrong? I sent the first new lever back under warranty and Shimano sent me another. Got the new one out yesterday. Cut the hose square. Put on the barb, olive and bolt. Gently fitted the hose and tightened the bolt keeping it all square. And still it goes on like this a pisses out of the lever. The left lever was perfect. Did I fluke the left??

Attachments

creaky

XMAS Plumper
What the fuck am I doing wrong? I sent the first new lever back under warranty and Shimano sent me another. Got the new one out yesterday. Cut the hose square. Put on the barb, olive and bolt. Gently fitted the hose and tightened the bolt keeping it all square. And still it goes on like this a pisses out of the lever. The left lever was perfect. Did I fluke the left??
It's upside down

DMan

Was the olive fully in before bolting up?
All genuine parts and right sizes?

Maybe they’re 12sp olives and barbs?
What do you mean fully in? I'm pretty sure they are. XT M8100 levers and I'm using A SM-BH90 olive /barb kit. Lol. Fu......, I mean no... :)

creaky

XMAS Plumper
That's it? That's all you've got?
Human error?

Barb doesn't look to be properly inserted so maybe the olive is falling into the gap between the barb face and the hose, which has a bit of an angle. The olive should only compress into the hose at both ends.

DMan

Human error?

Barb doesn't look to be properly inserted so maybe the olive is falling into the gap between the barb face and the hose, which has a bit of an angle. The olive should only compress into the hose at both ends.
I'm definitely thinking human error, but the barb is actually hard up against the face of the hose. That photo was from the first lever. But I'm having the same problem with the second lever and I've made sure the hose cut is square, the barb is fully inserted and there's no hose "fluff" catching anywhere....

moorey

call me Mia
Olive looks like it’s on too far. Not crimping front. Hose looks like it’s cut crooked too.

moorey

call me Mia
Human error?

Oops. Didn’t see this. +1

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
the only thing I can think of is that the olive is too big for the hose, is the olive and hose both genuwhine shimano?
is that pic of the compressed olive, if the hose is the correct size for the olive it shouldn't be sitting on the piss like that

DMan

the only thing I can think of is that the olive is too big for the hose, is the olive and hose both genuwhine shimano?
is that pic of the compressed olive, if the hose is the correct size for the olive it shouldn't be sitting on the piss like that
The olive kit is but it's a Magura brake line. But guys here have made the change over so I'm assuming it's me.

DMan

I think the olive placement is the problem
I agree. But there's not much more you can do than slide on the olive. I'm presuming the bolt pushes the olive in place as it tightens and should center to the hole in the lever?

moorey

call me Mia
Don’t ask me why I keep all of these. You’ll notice the olive sits further back on all of mine I’ve never had a leaking lever in 20 years.

Last edited:

DMan

Don’t ask me why I keep all of these. You’ll notice the olive sits further back on all of mine I’ve never had a leaking lever in 20 years. View attachment 363020
Is that a different olive to the one I'm using? It really crimps around the hose at the base of the olive which mine hasn't I noticed in my photo. Mine doesn't seem to have any crimping