Skewing the olive

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
You used to be able to just buy an olive. I would occasionally recycle a barb if I didn’t have a new one.They might start to sell just the olives again. You don’t know!
I know. I've bought 5 kits so far just to get the olives. Magura sells the olives in packs of 20...

teK--

Eats Squid
What the fuck am I doing wrong? I sent the first new lever back under warranty and Shimano sent me another. Got the new one out yesterday. Cut the hose square. Put on the barb, olive and bolt. Gently fitted the hose and tightened the bolt keeping it all square. And still it goes on like this a pisses out of the lever. The left lever was perfect. Did I fluke the left??

Barb needs to sit up flush against end of the hose!

moorey

call me Mia
Is that a different olive to the one I'm using? It really crimps around the hose at the base of the olive which mine hasn't I noticed in my photo. Mine doesn't seem to have any crimping
All pictured are standard shimano olives. Either factory fitted or by me.

T-Rex

Template denier
It looks to me that the olive has not been crushed onto the hose. That would explain the leak. Then as to why, in addition to what people have said above, I would throw in:

• cross threaded the nut going into the lever body. Try screwing it in with just your finger tips.
  • are you absolutely certain those olives are compatible with the lever body?
    EDIT: One more: Is it the same hose left and right? IE is the problematic one smaller OD?

DMan

It looks to me that the olive has not been crushed onto the hose. That would explain the leak. Then as to why, in addition to what people have said above, I would throw in:

• cross threaded the nut going into the lever body. Try screwing it in with just your finger tips.
  • are you absolutely certain those olives are compatible with the lever body?
Definitely not cross threaded as I put them in with my fingers and I'm not He Man. But the olive definitely isn't crushing like the ones @moorey has in his photo. I'm using the SM-BH90 kit and a Magura hose. I have to use the Magura hose as I'm fitting an XT lever to a Magura calliper. The thing is the left/rear was no problem when I changed it over

T-Rex

Template denier
Definitely not cross threaded as I put them in with my fingers and I'm not He Man. But the olive definitely isn't crushing like the ones @moorey has in his photo. I'm using the SM-BH90 kit and a Magura hose. I have to use the Magura hose as I'm fitting an XT lever to a Magura calliper. The thing is the left/rear was no problem when I changed it over
The olive should be a bit of a friction fit over the hose, it definitely should not wiggle around before you do it up. Is this the case?

DMan

The olive should be a bit of a friction fit over the hose, it definitely should not wiggle around before you do it up. Is this the case?
Nope, it's not a tight fit. If I flip the hose upside down it will happily fall off. Maybe I should try the BH59 olive.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Don’t ask me why I keep all of these. You’ll notice the olive sits further back on all of mine I’ve never had a leaking lever in 20 years. View attachment 363020
I thought I was the only one right enough to keep these for a barb that costs less than a dollar

I've not had any issues with any of mine. Magura lines to xt levers, slx levers, and zee levers. Also gone Shimano line to magura levers with no issues.

Possible issue at the lever? Or not squishing the olive far enough?

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

DMan

Have you pulled the good one apart to see what it looks like? I’m firmly in camp “you haven’t tightened it up enough”
I haven't but I know will

I thought I was the only one right enough to keep these for a barb that costs less than a dollar
Possible issue at the lever? Or not squishing the olive far enough?

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk
I would have thought it was the lever but this is the second lever.... I can certainly try doing it up tighter. I've just been going by the specs I've found on the shimano site and they say 9nm which isn't a lot of force.