Skewing the olive

Flow-Rider

Burner
Last edited:

T-Rex

Template denier
Do a practice run with the flarenut on its own threading it into the handle and see if it screws all the way into the handle.
You can then try to work out if there's enough room to crush the olive in there, looks very strange if you've done it up tight and there isn't any marks on it at all.
This is not a bad idea @DMan . Maybe try it with the olive in the lever body, do it up finger tight and see if the olive is rattling around in the lever body. If it is loose, you have either the wrong olive or the wrong flare nut, and that's why it's not crushing. Be careful not to get the olive stuck in the lever body.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Do a practice run with the flarenut on its own threading it into the handle and see if it screws all the way into the handle.
You can then try to work out if there's enough room to crush the olive in there, looks very strange if you've done it up tight and there isn't any marks on it at all.
Very true. After looking at the photo @moorey put up of all those olives and everyone is crimped it definitely seems like it isn't crimping at all. I'll try that at home tonight.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Is that a different olive to the one I'm using? It really crimps around the hose at the base of the olive which mine hasn't I noticed in my photo. Mine doesn't seem to have any crimping
olives should all b the same, can u get a hold of a silver barb..they are 0.15mm skinnier - your hose may b the wrong diameter for the barb, gold barbs for xt are bigger, silver slightly smaller for deore, some tektro & others

moorey

call me Mia
olives should all b the same, can u get a hold of a silver barb..they are 0.15mm skinnier - your hose may b the wrong diameter for the barb, gold barbs for xt are bigger, silver slightly smaller for deore, some tektro & others
I’ve mixed and matched a million times, without hyperbole or issue.

DMan

Correct. And they work fine. That olive isn’t doing it’s full job, regardless of anything else wrong. View attachment 363025
It is the silver barb model. The gold barb is BH59 kit which as far as I know is for the older brake models. Yep, now I've seen how yours crimps the olive clearly isn't crimping onto the hose. Just not sure why. I'll try doing it up tight but I have been tightening well past Shimanos specs.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Yes, it's the factory spec.

However if you're using someone else's hose, you'll need the correct barb for the hose bore.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
the olive isn't sitting correctly, because the barb isn't pushed all the way in. If the barb is set correctly, the master cylinder bore will push the olive down to the correct depth ;)
Dman says it is. Either say, with the olive slightly back, I think it would seal.

DMan

Yes, it's the factory spec.

However if you're using someone else's hose, you'll need the correct barb for the hose bore.

The silver Shimano barb is a very tight fit on the hose so I don't think that's a problem.

DMan

the olive isn't sitting correctly, because the barb isn't pushed all the way in. If the barb is set correctly, the master cylinder bore will push the olive down to the correct depth ;)
I know it looks that way, but the barb is definitely hard up against the face of the hose. That photo is from the first lever. This time, with the second lever, I have made extra sure it's a square cut and hard up against the hose face.
Dman says it is. Either say, with the olive slightly back, I think it would seal.
Thank you.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
I got a needle driver tool for inserting the barbs into brake hose. Works well. Rule those FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU..... moments out of your life ;)

jagwire also makes a nifty hose cutter as well.

DMan

I got a needle driver tool for inserting the barbs into brake hose. Works well. Rule those FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU..... moments out of your life ;)

Is that one of those tools that cuts the hose as well?