Skewing the olive

moorey

call me Mia
It looks straight enough honestly. I've never really taken much care when doing this and it has worked every time so something funny is going on. I'm wondering if the bore isn't machined on a bit of an angle so when the nut threads in it skews the hose and olive. Don't even know if that's possible.
Yes, my bad, I read that as the olive being straight...it looks less so. Pin can't possibly be crooked., but a badly cut hose can make them look so. That one looks better....at least the barb does.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Yes, my bad, I read that as the olive being straight...it looks less so. Pin can't possibly be crooked., but a badly cut hose can make them look so. That one looks better....at least the barb does.
And if the barb looks straight to the hose, which I think it does, then it shouldn't skew the olive like that. That's pretty twisted. Anyway, I've got Pushys ringing me back and worse case I'll ride it with just the rear until I go to my LBS in 2 weeks. Now that we can do 150km in QLD I can just get there...

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
That's why I sent the first one back. This is supposed to be a new lever. I'm really hoping they didn't "refurbish" it and just send it back to me though. To me the barb looks pretty straight and the left was fucking easy to do so why is the right so finicky! Sunday was my 4th cutting of the hose and fresh barb kit FFS....
put it directly to Shimano Australia. Ask them if they sent a brand new or 'refurbished' lever.
This is a safety issue and should be dealt with ASAP.

stirk

Burner
We need moar photos! What's going on inside the lever, need a pic from in there. Whatever is causing the olive to go on a angle is likely a fuckwit, human or machine we don't care.

DMan

Did you try filling the centre of the olive and thread with grease?

View attachment 363049
Not yet. But I will if I have a spare olive which I'm not sure I do...

We need moar photos! What's going on inside the lever, need a pic from in there. Whatever is causing the olive to go on a angle is likely a fuckwit, human or machine we don't care.
It's a brand new lever! The last was supposed to be the fucked one. It's supposed to be perfect. It would be easier if I could just have a lightbulb moment and move this to the Fuckwits thread... Hope yet...

DMan

As entertaining as the last 6 pages have been, @DMan can you please post:
-Photo of the lever looking into the bore;
-Photo of the assembled lever with the hose fitted.
I shall tonight after I've cleaned my camera I use for practising giving myself colonoscopies.

T-Rex

Template denier
I tried your theory. Here you go. At least it crimps
Check inside the lever body for a bit of broken thread or a bit of broken olive. It looks like something is preventing it from sitting square when it crushes. And are we 100% certain it's the right olive for that hose?

DMan

Check inside the lever body for a bit of broken thread or a bit of broken olive. It looks like something is preventing it from sitting square when it crushes. And are we 100% certain it's the right olive for that hose?
I'm sure it is. It's the SM-BH90 kit. Some one else feel free to google it, but as far as I know it is. As far as the lever goes, this is supposed to be a fresh lever to warranty replace the last lever that was doing the same thing. The only thing I can't discount yet is that they didn't "refurbish" the lever and send it back to me...