Skewing the olive

bear the bear

Is a real bear
You might want to read this... I suggest page 41 might be a good place to start.
If it is a replacement lever with sealing cap, it is pre-filled and there is an olive already installed in the lever.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
You might want to read this... I suggest page 41 might be a good place to start.
If it is a replacement lever with sealing cap, it is pre-filled and there is an olive already installed in the lever.
Oh my, that would be a trip to the fwits thread wouldn't it.

I got one from Merlin ages ago that had the little yellow plug in it and it had a pre installed olive, I wonder if that's what's happening.

Easy way to test would be to put the hose in without an olive and do up the nut. Undo nut and if it comes out with a crimped olive you get to have this entire thread moved to the correct part of the forum ;)

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Good lord I want that to be the case so bad!

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Oh my, that would be a trip to the fwits thread wouldn't it.

I got one from Merlin ages ago that had the little yellow plug in it and it had a pre installed olive, I wonder if that's what's happening.

Easy way to test would be to put the hose in without an olive and do up the nut. Undo nut and if it comes out with a crimped olive you get to have this entire thread moved to the correct part of the forum ;)
Lol. Wouldn't that be simple. But I assure you neither had an extra olive in them. Or oil actually

DMan

Nope. Neither oil nor olive

DMan

My only other thought is, are you inserting the hose far enough into the lever to allow the olive to crush behind the barb head?
I presume so? The barb head is hard up against the lever bore face. I've got 1 olive left but I'm too nervous to try again. Did you think the bore looked ok?

bear the bear

Is a real bear
I presume so? The barb head is hard up against the lever bore face. I've got 1 olive left but I'm too nervous to try again. Did you think the bore looked ok?
Hard to let. The photo was a little fuzzy and light a bit bright.
If the bore was oval, the nut would be an absolute pain to get in.
Can you screw it in partially with your fingers?

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Have you tried crushing the olive using the other lever? That would remove the barb and hose from the equation. You could also test the other side's hose in this lever to see if it seats properly.

DMan

Hard to let. The photo was a little fuzzy and light a bit bright.
If the bore was oval, the nut would be an absolute pain to get in.
Can you screw it in partially with your fingers?
Yes. I can thread it up until makes contact with the olive. But I was meaning more the bore face itself, not the bore. But you are right it's hard to tell from the pic.

DMan

Have you tried crushing the olive using the other lever? That would remove the barb and hose from the equation. You could also test the other side's hose in this lever to see if it seats properly.
No, but I think that's the safest option to try. I'll have a crack shortly

stirk

Burner
Whoa, unless my eyes deceive me that bore is not perfectly round!!

You should be able to get your wang in there and do a rotation feel test to verify if it's smooth and round.

On second thought better not, jizz and baby oil don't mix.... allegedly.

DMan

Ok, I've recut the hose, but this time with a new stanley blade, then fitted the barb and olive. Tightened it in by hand and then spanner. I pulled it out for a look and it's still skewed. But this time it's not leaking. Filled it up and bled it and no leaks! Fuck it that will do. I'll take it for a ride tomorrow, but on the stand grabbing the brake on and off hard there's no leaking. We'll see what happens when it heats up I guess. Thanks people!

nathanm

Eats Squid
Ok, I've recut the hose, but this time with a new stanley blade, then fitted the barb and olive. Tightened it in by hand and then spanner. I pulled it out for a look and it's still skewed. But this time it's not leaking. Filled it up and bled it and no leaks! Fuck it that will do. I'll take it for a ride tomorrow, but on the stand grabbing the brake on and off hard there's no leaking. We'll see what happens when it heats up I guess. Thanks people!
I had to fit a new hose tonight too and this thread had me shitting myself.

I too skewed my olive big time but holds fluid perfectly. I can only assume that you just weren't wrenching hard enough to crush the olive against the hose. Fingers crossed both our hoses hold.