skill or no fear???

wonderllama

Likes Dirt
hey all u`s ,,, i just got off the lovley n clean bayswater to glen waverley 753 bus and i was think about a convosation i had with my mate last week about my old riding buddy luke dingle.. and we were talkin about downhill and how ive improved but he reckons luke will still bet me CAUSE HE HAS NO FEAR and my skills have improved heaps since i rode with him 6 months ago, and he doesnt ride any more....
SO i was wondering whats more important SKILL OR NO FEAR?????? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? ?????

S.

ex offender
Steve Peat = skill
Bender = no fear

now you tell me which is a better rider?

perfor8r

Likes Dirt
Definitely Skill first. The more skills you develop, the better you become at knowing yourself and what you're capable of and how to push that further.
The whole saying of No Fear has been so overused. Any rider that pulls up to a fair sized drop/jump/bridge has some sort of element of fear. Some riders are just more adept at handling it better than others.

wonderllama

Likes Dirt
yeh it wont be a bender convo... his nuts n all but i heard he cant hold a line ... his still a nuts rider but.....
im a little form column a(skill) and a little form column b(no fear) good combo

S.

ex offender
Back to the point, skill is definitely a better thing to have... you can always work your way up to something bigger if you've got the skill, but hitting a huge line straight up when you're not good enough to cope with it WILL hurt you.

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
if ya not scared every now and then when you ride then it wouldn't be much fun.. fear is good! So is Skill! I want some more! :D

fastrider gus

super huck
yea skill is a big help.. but fear can also hold back your riding.. you needd to be able to turn it off, which you sorta get into after a while.

perfor8r

Likes Dirt
how good is it though when you pull up to something, you think 'hmm, i could do that!' then your mind starts going crazy and the fear does kick in...next thing you know, you've had a go at it, landed it and now you're pumped!!! Overcoming fear through skill is such an addictive thing.

Now if only i could do that!

mtbdh_girl

Likes Dirt
i started with no skill and no fear. I kept doing it cos i have a good ability to use the fear/adrenalin to do better. now that im getting more skill and have a better understanding of my ability though, i seem to experience more fear, and be able to utilise that fear less... :?

CHEWY

Eats Squid
u really need both i guess... u can just have no skill and no fear but ur gonna stack a lot and end up really hurting urself

Fat_Ride

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Skill, skill, skill.... Look at Cedric Gracia. In a downhill race you are going to have sections where being fearless is important but when you can hit berm section on your rear wheel and pull through gaining nothing but more speed, just like cedric, it is those skills and more that win races.

belly_up

Likes Dirt
And the more skills you have, the less fear you have, as you are more confident about what you can do. I've watched lindsay and jared hit stuff and thought to myself "wow those guys are nuts, they've got no fear". But the reason they have no fear is that they know they have the skills to do it.

It's like (todays Belly_up analogy) a learner driver looking at someone who's an experienced driver negotiate peak hour CBD traffic. For the learner it's scary, cause they're not sure if they can do it or not, but the experienced driver does it every day, and has confidence in their skills, and thus no fear of that situation.

Ryan

Radministrator
Yeah, Tyler Klassen is ugly to watch on a bike flailing around all over the place and what not, but he's incredible at the same time because despite looking admittedly, like an unco, he has unbelievable control over the bike and pinpoint precision...if any of you guys get the chance to see Jib, his section in it is amazing.
p.s. fastrider_gus your new sig is gold :)