Slipping saddle, advice please

pineapplehead

Likes Dirt
I have in my hardtail an X-fusion Hilo dropper post which in the last few weeks has started to loosen its grip on my saddle angle.
I normally like my saddle to be pretty much horizontal (parallel to the ground), but what happens is that it will slip and suddenly tilt so that the noise is pointed up to the sky - usually if I sit down on landing a jump or similar.

It's previously been pretty reliable and my jumping style isn't that heavy by any measure.

Is there a way I can somehow secure the clamping bolt or tooth interface so that it doesn't slip, or is the clamp simply worn out and my post screwed?

Pics showing the angle adjustment part of the seat :

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Potentially roughen the mating surfaces but usually they are too far gone. An LBS might be able to get you replacements or find something compatible. Carbon paste is worth a try too as is epoxy if you dont vary the postion.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
these are a flawed design as they're relying on a crush to keep clamp secure - seat in position. where thomson use a 2 bolt system and after nearly losing knackers, I don't use these kind of posts anymore (single bolt or crush clamp). what you can do is get yourself a high tensile bolt grade 8 (maybe a nyloc bolts on other side) and use that which will mean you can get it much tighter without risk of snapping bolt.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
these are a flawed design as they're relying on a crush to keep clamp secure - seat in position.
Yep, shit design. Giant had the same clamp arrangement on their posts for a while, and they did the same thing. Only proper solution is to turf the post & replace it with a vertically-loaded clamp, preferably two-bolt but singles are passable.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Roughen it up and green loctite, then start saving for a new post. Side clamps like that always go bodgy :(

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Try not to be seated when landing a jump...?

Sorry, being a smartarse. What Duck and others said - had an old Giant post that did the same thing. I did try carbon paste on that post and it did improve things slightly but still needed a lot more bolt torque than was reasonable.

Reactions: Zaf

slowmick

38-39"
does your seat post have a torque rating printed on it? The specialized command post has the same type of clamp. i thought i had done it up stupid tight. After it continued to rotate on me I bought a torque wrench, and it seems it needs to be stupid fucking tight. Bad case of RTFM for me.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
these are a flawed design as they're relying on a crush to keep clamp secure - seat in position. where thomson use a 2 bolt system and after nearly losing knackers, I don't use these kind of posts anymore (single bolt or crush clamp). what you can do is get yourself a high tensile bolt grade 8 (maybe a nyloc bolts on other side) and use that which will mean you can get it much tighter without risk of snapping bolt.
I've just bought an X-Fusion post for my hardtail, and it seems the design has changed to a more conventional two-bolt arrangement.

IMG_1212.jpg