SLX 7000 Brake Making a Howling Noise

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
When cooking brake pads in a pan, does anybody have any experience with Teflon coated vs. stainless? Also I mostly run sintered/metallic pads in my brakes but just picked up a second hand set of that I assume will have organic pads in, can I cook those as well and can anyone confirm that they'd be gluten free?

Flow-Rider

Burner
When cooking brake pads in a pan, does anybody have any experience with Teflon coated vs. stainless? Also I mostly run sintered/metallic pads in my brakes but just picked up a second hand set of that I assume will have organic pads in, can I cook those as well and can anyone confirm that they'd be gluten free?
They taste better when you oven cook them.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
i’d be cooking it in stainless, not sure how the chemical could react with cheap teflon (esp. if it has tiny scratches in it)

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Flame grilled for me, tastes heaps better and 100% paleo. Just like great great uncle grug used to make.

(For real though, don't use a pan. Hold it with pliers over the open flame, works a treat)

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
It's gotta he cast iron @cokeonspecialtwodollars! If you don't have any you can come over and use mine. For those wanting to take their pad cooking to the next level, this is what I'm running:

It does electric, gas, or induction and oven. My pads have never had a more even cook.

The big question is what oil is everyone using for the cook? Obviously it needs a high smoke point, which is why I've stopped using olive oil. Any suggestions? I was thinking of trying cotton seed.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
They taste better when you oven cook them.
I thought about that briefly but then under fear of swift retribution, decided that it would be better off taking it outside and as the BBQ is out of order will be firing up the JetBoil.

Flame grilled for me, tastes heaps better and 100% paleo. Just like great great uncle grug used to make.

(For real though, don't use a pan. Hold it with pliers over the open flame, works a treat)

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk
Simple yet effective

It's gotta he cast iron @cokeonspecialtwodollars! If you don't have any you can come over and use mine. For those wanting to take their pad cooking to the next level, this is what I'm running:

It does electric, gas, or induction and oven. My pads have never had a more even cook.

The big question is what oil is everyone using for the cook? Obviously it needs a high smoke point, which is why I've stopped using olive oil. Any suggestions? I was thinking of trying cotton seed.
Aren't cast iron pans seasoned with oil, how do you keep it off the braking surface? Or do you just cook them sunny side up?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Poodle's pad cleaning service... whisky while you wait.
This incidentally answers you last question, flame finish! Nothing like throwing a bit of high % booze in the pan to finish the pads. Rum is good for dh, whisky for enduro, brandy for xc, and dog piss for road.

That cast iron skillet is coated. Raw cast iron should indeed be seasoned.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I cooked my Tektro pads with a heat gun, wasn't aggressive enough the first time. Still howled, so I did it again with a MAPP gas torch and really roasted them ! oil bubbled out the surface and burnt off. A light scrub on 120 grit wet and dry paper on a very flat backing surface, and they came up pretty good.
Yep, works a treat every time! :)