Small bolt thing that holds the cable on a Command Post

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Short story, I bought a Command Post from a burner cos it was only 75 mm and internal routed however there was no cable stuff or lever.
So saw on ebay a buggered one was external but cable was good.
Would you believe the bolt thing that holds the cable tight on the dropper is 1 mm smaller diameter between internal and external posts!!!
Specialized and the whole bike industry get f...ked.
Anyway I tried drilling a bolt thru for the cable but it broke.
Any ideas , anyone have a spare, its 6mm diameter ?
The original is a steel threaded sleeve about 6mm w a tiny hole for the cable with a tiny grub screw.
Thought of cutting and flairing the hole it goes in but doesnt look strong enough.

Last edited:

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I would head over to your local bolt and fastener emporium. Those guys are usually really helpful and might help avoid any cutting things that can also go badly.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Short story, I bought a Command Post from a burner cos it was only 75 mm and internal routed however there was no cable stuff or lever.
So saw on ebay a buggered one was external but cable was good.
Would you believe the bolt thing that holds the cable tight on the dropper is 1 mm smaller diameter between internal and external posts!!!
Specialized and the whole bike industry get f...ked.
Anyway I tried drilling a bolt thru for the cable but it broke.
Any ideas , anyone have a spare, its 6mm diameter ?
The original is a steel threaded sleeve about 6mm w a tiny hole for the cable with a tiny grub screw.
Thought of cutting and flairing the hole it goes in but doesnt look strong enough.
Pic? Hard for me to work out which bit is shorter from your description.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I would head over to your local bolt and fastener emporium. Those guys are usually really helpful...
You're not from Melbourne are you? Otherwise - Will gaze at the item with a vacant and confused stare, then eventually say "No, we don't really carry that type of thing" - when asking them for something like an M8 bolt would be a more accurate description. :rolleyes: Think bad LBS level customer service.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
You're not from Melbourne are you? Otherwise - Will gaze at the item with a vacant and confused stare, then eventually say "No, we don't really carry that type of thing" - when asking them for something like an M8 bolt would be a more accurate description. :rolleyes: Think bad LBS level customer service.
I thought that was just a sydney thing.

Took me 7 years to find a local bolt shop at work that was good.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Yep thanks for the replies= problem solved . Collective wisdom is a good thing.
I thought there would be a generic use for that sort of thing.
Only have specialized droppers ,[ 6mm but 5mm KS will fit ]and no motorbikes .
Hadnt realized they are called cable nipples .

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I am blessed sir to be close to an industrial area where the staff will gladly take a close look at your rusty, burred, threaded and half cut sorry excuse for a bolt and provide a few options.

If there truly is a god, he gets his or her bolts and fasteners from LM Fasteners. All hail.............
https://www.lmfasteners.com.au/

The bearing emporiums, although are very useful, are not as happy to take questions about different models and spec's of 62xx and 72xx bearings that have in stock especially if you ask for a only few. 'We have this, take this one, next' .......... Sometimes no messing around is also refreshing.

Both make you think how much you get shafted for what sure looks to almost the same product but as soon as the word 'bike' is included then the price goes up and stupid shipping costs can be expected from far flung places around the world.

Flow-Rider

Burner
They are like $3 local ... $1 for the grub screw ... part is P5713 grub screw is P1449 for the remote ... P1421 for the E20 or LEV/LEVDX inner cable

I think MTBD has them listed.

We call them cable clamps btw
I tried to get them In Australia last year without a chance and don't think MTB direct list them, well they didn't the last time I was looking for them.