Small bump, do I need a new skid lid? So which stackhats keep a huge bonse coolest?

clockworked

Like an orange
As a fellow melonhead I'm interested to see the suggestions. Ive found specialized and bell make large enough shells

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Giant Rail fits my elongated 62cm circumferenced boof.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/showcase/rail

I haven't worn it in our 45+ summer yet, but it has massive air channels under the skin and it's the first helmet I can feel the air flow through. Spent a long time on the road in those little bits of foam they call helmets and this flows just as well if not better. Covers a fair bit of the back of your head too.

The other one is Lazer with the dial in the top. It was a road helmet but seemed to be longer, and the head band held it on.

Not sure about now, but for many years I could only buy MET helmets because of the shape of my head. Apparently Frenchies are oval heads too.

danncam

Likes Dirt

I haven't worn it in our 45+ summer yet, but it has massive air channels under the skin and it's the first helmet I can feel the air flow through. Spent a long time on the road in those little bits of foam they call helmets and this flows just as well if not better. Covers a fair bit of the back of your head too.

The other one is Lazer with the dial in the top. It was a road helmet buQUOTE]

Thanks Cardy, I'd noticed the rails and was thinking of giving them a look

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I'll add in the the Rail shell is big enough to add a double layer of polar fleece for our -1 mornings and still tighten the dial a few clicks

John U

MTB Precision
Thanks for all the encouragement to replace my helmet.
I've usually gone with a very XC helmet for the light weight. I have a big head and come summer always feel overheated on exposed climbs.
I've been looking at reviews of more trail type helmets, but they are usually overseas sites.
Any real Australian feedback on helmets that do the best to keep your head cool?
I've got a pretty big head (around 60 depending on the brand). I've got a Lazer Genesis which is a bit of roadie/xc helmet. Really comfortable and has been doing a great job for over 10 years. Use it for commuting and XC/trail duties. Liked it so much I bought a second one and have gone through a couple of sets of replacement pads.

I bought another type of Lazer helmet online in Australia which was a bit more of an all mountain helmet. Bit more coverage over the back. Although the same size and brand as the Genesis it didn't fit so beware of buying online as fit is probably more important than anything else. That helmet is sitting in the shed virtually unused.

I also have one the first Bell Supers. It's not too bad. Good fit. Bought it from a shop. Use it for all mountain duties. Runs hotter that the Lazer.

danncam

Likes Dirt
So in the end I went with a non-mips type helmet.
As per my usual shopping style I got sick of looking after a while and went with what was in front of me. I did try quite a few lids, most of which really did not suit my head shape.
An on sale specialized helmet in garish colours won the day ($100 off, light weight for a trail helmet with great airflow and coverage)
I did add the sticker my kids gave me for my birthday to it though.
IMG-20180922-WA0000.jpeg

safreek

After wearing a cast off from the son, thinking I bought this for him in 01 or 02 I finally lashed out and purchased a new helmet, broke the budget at 70 bucks, mister moneybags or what.
I always thought I had a huge head but fuck me, some of you fellows are huge

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
The good news out of this crash is that you get to go shopping! For a new helmet...definitely throw that one into retirement and get a fresh lid man. In a crash big enough to blow the rest of you up like that, you don't really know what happens to all your bits. They just rag doll around and bash into stuff. At least that's how it usually happens for me...apparently I look reasonably funny when I am crashing, everybody laughs so hard.

If you aren't too keen on throwing an expensive helmet out on a whim you can perform an easy home test on it that is guaranteed to leave no question about the helmets condition. Put the helmet under any wheel of your car and drive over it. If the helmet is still in a recognisable form repeat this action with a different wheel. Keep going until it is no longer a helmet. For me the test is a bit different as I don't drive a car. I use an axe or machete and one time a hammer...if it penetrates the helmet it's time for a new one. Again repeat the strikes until you really get in there...it's the only way to know the test has worked.
I did this with a hammer on the first helmet I needed to crash replace. I was rather surprised at how tough the helmet was, and how fast the hammer came flying back at my (now helmet-less) head. Luckily no contact was made, but it was close. I now have a lot more respect for helmets, and less for my own intelligence.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I wear a Met Lupo and it’s light with great airflow.
I am amazed @Kind_cir that you would trust your melon to a regular bicycle helmet while you are using a motorised vehicle. E-bikes move at considerably more pace than a mountain bike does, so the impact would probably be far greater should you crash. I wonder if there is any merit to a new standard being introduced for e-bikes? I can only see the answer being yes. Mainly because marketing.

@Jim Junkie you're doing it wrong man. Ive smashed quite a few helmets and yes I agree that they put up a lot more of a fight than expected! But I've never had them get a swing in on me. Plus I stand to the side a little. I assume you did a skull fresher style 2 handed triangle strike? It's pretty funny when the helmet gets wedged onto the machete!

Kind_cir

Likes Dirt
I am amazed @Kind_cir that you would trust your melon to a regular bicycle helmet while you are using a motorised vehicle. E-bikes move at considerably more pace than a mountain bike does, so the impact would probably be far greater should you crash. I wonder if there is any merit to a new standard being introduced for e-bikes? I can only see the answer being yes. Mainly because marketing.

@Jim Junkie you're doing it wrong man. Ive smashed quite a few helmets and yes I agree that they put up a lot more of a fight than expected! But I've never had them get a swing in on me. Plus I stand to the side a little. I assume you did a skull fresher style 2 handed triangle strike? It's pretty funny when the helmet gets wedged onto the machete!
Yeah a few too many knocks to the head can be detrimental. I have been told conflicting things in regard to ebikes and their speed however.
One statement was we hold real bikers up as they charge downhill, bit like a bunch of roadies, or something along those lines.
I really hope for your sake you don’t get too many knocks to the head. A sole like yours really needs preserving. Good luck out there Mr Poodle.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
My helmet collection is deep and wide @Kind_cir. Actually it isn't...full face + skid lidsssss (so many coloirs!) aplenty. @Kind_cir the question remains - will a light weight helmet save the bacon of an e-bike roder in a crash? This is genuinely interesting conundrum. They all say not for usenee. Where.dl

Kind_cir

Likes Dirt
My helmet collection is deep and wide @Kind_cir. Actually it isn't...full face + skid lidsssss (so many coloirs!) aplenty. @Kind_cir the question remains - will a light weight helmet save the bacon of an e-bike roder in a crash? This is genuinely interesting conundrum. They all say not for usenee. Where.dl
I think that ship has already sailed.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I think that ship has already sailed.
Seems I didn't finish that sentence well! Bicycle helmets say not for motorised use, how will this play out in the case of an e-bike assisted crash?

The constant promotional splurge is these motorised bikes go faster. That is the push - ride faster and ride further. I know I can't keep up with them when riding under pedal power on say a cycleway xc trail or fire road. When it comes to riding the gravity or dirt jumps that is a different story...though I doubt I'd be catching Mr Pilgrim, even if he was only wearing e-socks and running down the hill.

Kind_cir

Likes Dirt
Seems I didn't finish that sentence well! Bicycle helmets say not for motorised use, how will this play out in the case of an e-bike assisted crash?

The constant promotional splurge is these motorised bikes go faster. That is the push - ride faster and ride further. I know I can't keep up with them when riding under pedal power on say a cycleway xc trail or fire road. When it comes to riding the gravity or dirt jumps that is a different story...though I doubt I'd be catching Mr Pilgrim, even if he was only wearing e-socks and running down the hill.
Ok, I see your point.
If one was to de restrict their ebike and have motor support above 25kmh, it would be valid.
The people that do de restrict are just plain dongs and aholes. I really hate people that do.
On single trail I can keep up with the good riders I know, but have better riders pull away at times. I do go faster than I previously did, however I am in no way breaking all the Strava KOM’s if you like ( I don’t Strava btw but once did.) So the ebike is still in the ballpark as far as speed is concerned of mtb’s in general.