small investment ideas, conventional or other ideas

scblack

Leucocholic
As you have mentioned shares, I will put my 2c in. I run and invest my own SMSF and have a Graduate Diploma in Applied Finance and Investment and am a CPA accountant.

What is your time frame for this exercise? What are your other assets? What are your other debts? What is your income like? What is your actual GOAL for this investment? Are you saving toward a home deposit? Are you just looking to have some fun with the investment?

Without some of these answers people are just chucking you ideas.

As an Investment, over the longer term, shares is the best investment class. However you must apply that concept - LONG TERM.

Over the longer term and as long as you are diversified sufficiently, shares are very LOW risk. If you plan on holding shares longer than a minimum of 2-3 years your risk of loss is very low.

As a couple have suggested ETF's or LIC's are a simple, very low fee, exchange traded method to invest smaller sums of money to achieve some measure of diversification.

As you have mentioned shares, I will put my 2c in. I run and invest my own SMSF and have a Graduate Diploma in Applied Finance and Investment and am a CPA accountant.

What is your time frame for this exercise? What are your other assets? What are your other debts? What is your income like? What is your actual GOAL for this investment? Are you saving toward a home deposit? Are you just looking to have some fun with the investment?

Yep, valid point.

Who did you do the Grad Dip with ?

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Within the current macro environment , probably a good time to recall the difference between investing and speculating. Anything to do with the FIRE sector right now, is speculating. Anybody who says in the long term you'll be fine, just covered their @ss (no offense Scblack) under the pretense that it's actually an investment.

People seem to think holding cash is a bad thing. It will be a bad thing one day when it's digital cash and banks/govt can deflate/'adjust' it daily as required. But until then, it's not that bad. So I would take the cash, and save it. Wait 6-12mths to figure out which way the economy is going (recession is odds on but not baked in yet), then consider deploying as cleverly as you can. Until then, it's all speculating IMO. Sorry it's not a very action-oriented answer.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
As an Investment, over the longer term, shares is the best investment class. However you must apply that concept - LONG TERM.
Can I just add that I also wouldn't throw the entire sum of money in one shot. Averaging purchases over a fixed timeframe is advised especially with current Australian forecasts. If you threw $40k at Aussie stocks 6 months ago, you'd be down.

Also, mining stocks are not dividend plays (sorry had to add that bit in haha).

Ahh, now its getting interesting

Holding cash can be a very bad thing whether it be digital or physical, just depends on the circumstances at the time.

For every opinion out there stating that the outlook is good there is one that states its crap

An investment is not is defined as such by its success or failure, it merely becomes a good investment or a bad investment, its still an investment but.

Why employ dollar cost averaging if you think the market is on the way down, why not stay out all together ? Dollar Cost Averaging is a strategy to be used once you are already in the market and are looking to take advantage of dips in a rising market.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Hold cash and invest...currency exchange. Surely a shoe box filled with foreign currencies is the winner here?

Anthony B

Likes Dirt
Hold cash and invest...currency exchange. Surely a shoe box filled with foreign currencies is the winner here?
Nailed it, 10mths ago the US dollar was $1 to $1 now the Aud is worth 3 pieces of rice & an 1in of yarn . Outside currency trading commodities is the next best bet, but like shares you need a grasp of the fluctuations.

As mentioned earlier though, make a charitable donations if possible to something you support. Becomes a deduction on you tax return.

Deposit savings is dead due to the to cash rate % banks have gone whole heartedly with the rba on dropping that rate but not lending rates. Eliminate any unsecured debts any interest you are paying is a loss, unless you are wisely invested in margin lending & share trading.

Pending on age putting part in superannuation is a wise longer term move.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nailed it, 10mths ago the US dollar was $1 to $1 now the Aud is worth 3 pieces of rice & an 1in of yarn .
Exactly, if you'd played the AUD/USD game 12mths ago with the Betashares USD ETF, ASX code: USD, you'd be laughing. Now, maybe not so clear cut.

SJP, I agree if we were a small country with decent inflation, perhaps not quite carrying the cash for a loaf of bread in a wheelbarrow type inflation, then it could be a bad idea. But that's not us right now and over shorter periods of time with our inflation at 1.5-1.7% it isn't going to hurt that much. On the flip side you'd recall it wasn't that long ago the Libs were planning to tax your bank deposits, mofos. So it was lose/lose. They're the accounts they didn't sweep away due to inactivity, but that's another story. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying cash is good or by any means 'the best', I'm just saying right now it's not that bad.

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mobile bike wash - like the ones for dogs.
Mobile Cat Wash. So many apartments being built equals so many apartment dwellers seeking cats as pets. High density housing isn't really conducive to dog ownership, however cats are more suited to apartment style living. Pull up in the Kat Kleen Van, and begin your journey to financial freedom by taking advantage of a rapidly growing number of densely populated catchment areas. Offer customers a discount if they participate in a survey, target the DINKS/retards who like dressing their cats up in costumes, and sell them overpriced shit like Reindeer Antlers, Easter Bunny Suits or Halloween Themed RoadKill costumes that you buy in bulk from AliBaba.

Thank me later :)

Last edited:

MARKL

Eats Squid
Mobile Cat Euthanasia. So many apartments being built equals so many apartment dwellers seeking flat cats as pets. High density housing isn't really conducive to pet ownership, however flat cats go perfectly with flat pack furniture. Pull up in the Kat Kill Van, and begin your journey to financial freedom by taking advantage of a rapidly growing number of densely populated catchment areas. Offer customers a discount if they participate in a survey, target the DINKS/retards who like dressing their dead cats up in costumes, and sell them overpriced shit like Reindeer Antlers, Easter Bunny Suits or Halloween Themed RoadKill costumes that you buy in bulk from AliBaba.

Fixed it for you

stirk

Burner
Mobile Cat Wash. So many apartments being built equals so many apartment dwellers seeking cats as pets. High density housing isn't really conducive to dog ownership, however cats are more suited to apartment style living. Pull up in the Kat Kleen Van, and begin your journey to financial freedom by taking advantage of a rapidly growing number of densely populated catchment areas. Offer customers a discount if they participate in a survey, target the DINKS/retards who like dressing their cats up in costumes, and sell them overpriced shit like Reindeer Antlers, Easter Bunny Suits or Halloween Themed RoadKill costumes that you buy in bulk from AliBaba.

This idea only makes sense if you upload the footage to YouTube and cash in on the hits from people who love seeing cats freak out when the water hits them, your audience is the whole world.

Had a cat, it washed itself. I only ever bothered washing it maybe a few times a year and only then cause I was bored and washing a cat is always a hilarious thing to do!

limeyfingers

Likes Dirt
I may or may not know a guy with a spare pill press, and I can get my hands on a lot of spare lab glassware.

What you decide to do with them is entirely up to you, but 500% returns can be had with minimal effort. And as stated you're not adverse to risk.
Would of been keen years ago but don't wish to do more time, I hear people are dying for the product. If you have free samples I may change my mind:party:

limeyfingers

Likes Dirt
Well your first mistake is thinking that rotorburners will have something intelligent to add.
With the amount of learned people and strange people combined with the normal people I thought some unusual viable options may be suggested

Given your restraint in only spending $10k of your windfall, I think you already have the money earmarked for something - but here is a list of what I would spend on for investing:
Not really earmarked but don't want to fritter it away, it's been many years since I have had this sort of cash

1. Education/qualifications - increase your ability to bring in more income. Hands down this is the best bet
2. Get rid of all unproductive debt. If the asset does not appreciate then it is useless debt. Avoid going into debt in the future for assets that don't appreciate
Out of bankruptcy a year ago so no debts but no assets either

3. Your continued good health - Need any dental work done? Your teeth are not just for looks - they can contribute significantly to your overall health. Straight, white teeth will also mean that it is easier to get jobs/sales/ your way in life (entirely superficial, I know, but it would be the only cosmetic 'surgery' that is really worth your while
That makes sense, hadn't given it much thought in the excitement.

limeyfingers

Likes Dirt

Over the longer term and as long as you are diversified sufficiently, shares are very LOW risk. If you plan on holding shares longer than a minimum of 2-3 years your risk of loss is very low.

As a couple have suggested ETF's or LIC's are a simple, very low fee, exchange traded method to invest smaller sums of money to achieve some measure of diversification.
No assets at all so my need not to lose lots is important, only have around 70,000 in my super. Damn having fun whilst young sets you back. Any winners in the share market to tip.

limeyfingers

Likes Dirt
So, any idea whether the us/ Aussie will drop, does my mind in thinking about it, what really makes it go up or down, the real economy or the political fuck arounds

limeyfingers

Likes Dirt

But I live in a country area where 3/4 of the population think they are environmental vandals and the other 1/4 just hate them.