Smaller cassettes

duggymag

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi there.
I have been thinking of making my cassette smaller from a 9 speed to a 5 or 6 speed. But firstly I’d just like to ask around for what combination of different sized gears people are running and that find that work really well ?

Also like to ask, if it is even possible anymore to get cassettes that are not connected to one another? (Example of connected: Sram PG970)
Cheers guys

Sean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What do you mean connected PG970 duggy? There should be a long threaded bolt running through all the cogs and spacers which you can undo to disassemble it.

duggymag

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sorry Sean, what I mean is say gear 1 through to gear 4-5 on the Sram PG970 are connected together as one contraption, then the remanding gears are all separated. What im looking for is a cassette that has its gears all separated so that I can achieve my 'custom' cassette
Dose this make sense?

a-line

Likes Dirt
So you want to do what i've done to mine? Why didn't you ask me.... A SRAM PG970 (the downhill version with red spacers) is all seperate spacers to the cogs, this is what im using(11-26). I took off the top 2 and bottom 2. The reason i have done this is because it allows me to get a near straight chain line through the 3 gears i use the most without having any drag through the chain device.

Last edited:

duggymag

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah Mark, pretty much. It was after I saw yours that I realized different things about my gear changing and other things along those lines, and I thought yeah might consider taking some out.

Oh sorry there mark, I meant to say the PG980. Also your running 5 speed yeah? And what did you do with your limit screws, or did you take them out and go down to the local bolt bloke to match the thread but a longer screw?

a-line

Likes Dirt
Yeah running 5 speed. I haven't got a longer screw yet, too lazy haha. Which is why im running 1 gear higher that i never use, just incase i upshift too high it wont drop off. I should have like 5 spare cassettes in the garage that are all useable that you can make something up if you want.

duggymag

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah fair enough then, but I might see if I can locate a longer screw, might aswell.
yeah that would be great mark. But with the 5 speed your running, are those gears from the 9 speed PG970?
Because soon I was going to replace my cassette and chain and if I could grab the spear cassettes you have and make what you have and try it out, then if im happy with it then ill just get a new PG970 and make my custom cassette.

a-line

Likes Dirt
Yeah all off a PG970. I look tomorrow and count what im using and make up something the same

duggymag

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That would be awesome mate. thanks for that. and would you have any spear gear spacers lieing around aswelll ??

jamie

Likes Dirt
I removed the top 3 off the 970 cluster, running a 36th on the front. and modified the 11 tooth cog to allow it to move inboard to get a better chain alignment, and used longer screws to keep it all working sweet (I think they are 4mm x1 about 25mm long) LBS had the spacers.
keep us posted