Rear shock - NA
Front shock/fork – Pike 2023 130mm
Handlebars – Waltly 700mm
Stem – Hope AM 35mm
Headset – Cane Creek 40 series ZS
Grips - Ergon
Saddle – Cube Nuance
Seatpost – PNW Coast Dropper
Front brake – XT 4 piston (to be swapped for XTR when it arrives)
Rear brake – XTR 4 piston
Cranks - Pinion
Chainguide - NA
Chain – Gates Carbon
Pedals – PNW composite
Front derailleur - NA
Rear derailleur - NA
Front shifter -NA
Rear shifter – Pinion Smart Shift
Cassette – Pinion C1.12i Gearbox
Front hub – Hope Pro 5
Rear hub – Hope Pro 5 SS
Front rim – Light Bicycle WG44
Rear rim - Light Bicycle WG44
Spokes – Not sure..double butted
Nipples – Brass
Tyres – Rene Herse Fleecer Ridge 29 x 55mm Endurance Casing
Tubes - Pirelli
Total weight – Not Sure..light enough
Bike Brighton Beach.jpg
Bike Brighton Beach.jpg
20240425_064950r.jpg
20240425_072406r.jpg
20240425_072513r.jpg
20240429_142517r.jpg
20240429_142609r.jpg

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Looks great @Shorsau! Is the thing in the bottle-holder the battery, or something else? I had the impression the SmartShift battery was only a couple of small cells that could almost fit in the downtube?

Shorsau

Likes Dirt
Hi Beeb..yeah the battery not that big..but a bit too big for my downtube. Bit of an oversight. Pinion didn't have the printed battery box ready when I got the kit sent

beeb

That's the first picture of the battery connection I've actually seen - thanks! Any idea what the extra connectors are for? (Wheel speed sensors or eBike motor compatibility perhaps?).

Did you order the kit yourself, or did Waltly arrange that for you? I have been considering building something similar myself.

beeb

PS: Is the rear light being used as a dropper(-travel)-stopper, or is it worth considering mounting it to the underside of the saddle?

Shorsau

Likes Dirt
I think all the extra wiring is for eBike setup. The non drive side crank comes with a magnet and that works with the SmartShift, and Christoph from Pinion set the gearbox for optimum shifting..just needed to supply him with gearbox mount angle etc. He was pretty helpful.

Shorsau

Likes Dirt
PS: Is the rear light being used as a dropper(-travel)-stopper, or is it worth considering mounting it to the underside of the saddle?
I haven't got a cable on the dropper at present Beeb..but is 40mm of suspension built into the post through an air spring. All my riding is on tarmac at the moment, so it seems to be working ok. Have only just put it on today. Tried the Ti seat post but was a bit hard for a 56 yr old back.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Wow, sick build!

This is pretty close to my ultimate bikepacker build, but I got two watlys in the shed already - maybe tax time!

Was it easy to source/build the pinion stuff?

What about belt length and all that, easy to find a size or do you have to design the bike around it? - sorry I'm totally new to this whole thing

Shorsau

Likes Dirt
Wow, sick build!

This is pretty close to my ultimate bikepacker build, but I got two watlys in the shed already - maybe tax time!

Was it easy to source/build the pinion stuff?

What about belt length and all that, easy to find a size or do you have to design the bike around it? - sorry I'm totally new to this whole thing
The Pinion kit I had to wait for as I ordered late last year, but it wasn't released to the general public until mid January this year. Is easy enough to get hold of now through the link above.

I got a couple of different length belts (113t & 115t) through Bike Knack in Qld. I built the frame first then used the Gates calculator (link below) to work out what would suit, with the sliding dropouts I've got rear centers from 440mm to 460mm.

WhatsApp Image 2024-05-01 at 07.23.38_2986969a.jpg
WhatsApp Image 2024-05-01 at 07.23.39_fcafb470.jpg